Better Giant Mosquito Models?

Darguth

Hello all,

Just recently entered the game and adopted Somer as my initial Master. I have to say that I'm loathe to buy 4x Giant Mosquito models I'll need because they are rather overpriced for what you get, the sculpt is pretty lousy, and they don't even come with some kind of proper flying stand to prop them up. I was wondering if anyone knows of any other miniature model ranges that offer some kind of giant flying insect that would be a good stand-in for this model?

Thanks!

You're probably going to need to make your own. You could look for a fishing lure that would suit your purposes, but I don't think you'll find anything better than Wyrd's model available commercially.

Do you actually believe what you just typed? You dont think there is better out there than this:

p-16280.jpg[url=http://wyrd-games.net/shop/images/P/p-16280.jpg]

To the OP, try the Reaper range and other alternates for giant insects and swarms. The Giant Mosquito for Malifaux is 1 sculpt when you need 2-4 to play a viable game and apart from paintscheme and basing, there is no other definable way to make them different.

I do believe it. There aren't any scale appropriate giant mosquitoes out there. The closest was an old Chronopia goblin shaman on drone model, which really wasn't even a mosquito for one and was way too giant for two. And just because it's the best available doesn't mean it's good.

Like I said, make your own. It shouldn't be that tough. Just get some thin wire and some putty. Bend the wire into some nice long legs, and stick them into a thorax shape. Then add an abdomen and head, with another piece of wire for the proboscis. Add a flying base and call it a day.

...when you need 2-4 to play a viable game and apart from paintscheme and basing, there is no other definable way to make them different.

Creative modifications can be used to make them different. Here is an example of one I did picture.php?albumid=44&pictureid=372

I have another one that is waiting on paint, I'll post that one once it's done.

Creative modifications can be used to make them different. Here is an example of one I did: pic removed for downloads.

Yes, this ties in with basing, as I stated earlier.

However, bending the wings it is still the same sculpt. What I was referring to was different wing types, heads... is a flying stand too much to ask for?

I used 4 of these lol. I stuck a needle in and swiveled it to make hole large, then cut a paper clip and glued in hole, for the proboscis.

Speaking of mosquitoes...my sister left for college and left the tank of water in her room. Dogs came in with mosquitoes. Eggs hatched...

Spent all night killing those vicious blood suckers. I had 7 in my room. When a female quitoe is hungry for blood to incubate eggs in her...good lord will it be aggressive.

If they released any you could get stirges from DnD minis.

Edited by David.Hanold

• 2 weeks later...

Just an FYI I did hear back from Andy regarding the giant mosquito models from Heresy Miniatures. He took them out of circulation because of a mold problem which causes a lot of additional flashing to occur on the models. I asked him if there would need to be any sculpting skills required to fix the problem if I ordered some and was told that wouldn't be necessary (outside of normal gap-filling as with any model).

So, if you don't mind taking the time to remove a lot of extra flash bitz from the models you can get blisters of 3 mosquitoes from Heresy for 6.00 GBP per blister.

P.S. I haven't yet received the two blisters I ordered, but once I do I'll update this thread with the actual condition of the models. Not sure exactly how bad the additional flash bits will be until I see them.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let anyone that might be interested know that I got the Giant Mosquito models from Andy at Heresy Miniatures and they are fantastic. The extra flashing is hardly even worth mentioning. If I hadn't been alerted to it up front I probably would not have found it remarkable, it's really not bad at all.

So, if you don't care for the Wyrd skeeters I highly recommend these from Heresy as a stand-in, they're great and will enhance your Malifaux gaming very much :)