Koyote's WIP Guild Crew

Koyote

How do you get your colors so smooth on the model?

I use a number of techniques, based upon the color I am using and the desired effect.

I never paint out of the pot. I always mix and thin on a palette. I do so because controlling the consistency of the paint is always important to producing a smooth coat. It becomes even more important when highlighting.

One technique is to apply multiple thin coats of highlighting. Because some of the darker color shows through the next higher layer, this produces a nice gradient effect. After 3 or 4 layers of highlight I smooth this out even further by applying a very thin wash of the color I used as a base coat. Once dry, I add 1 or 2 more thin layers of highlight, finishing with the lightest shade on the edges and crests of raised areas.

Edited by Koyote

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The female Desperate Mercenary appears to be parrying low and to the outside (parry position 2 or octave), but for me, the pose looks terribly awkward. In fact, the pose looks more awkward in person than it does in Wyrd's photos.

b10d3c07ceb3d0940c9c2156904f08b2.jpg

So here's my attempt to salvage the model. I didn't want to spend too much time converting and resculpting, so I settled on a rather simple fix. I cut the model in half at the torso, repositioned the torso into a more erect position, rebuilt its midsection with greenstuff, and repositioned the sword and sword arm. It's not a huge improvement, but an improvement nonetheless.

wipdm1.jpg

wipdm2.jpg

Okay, time for paint... :)

The female Desperate Mercenary appears to be parrying low and to the outside (parry position 2 or octave), but for me, the pose looks terribly awkward. In fact, the pose looks more awkward in person than it does in Wyrd's photos.

Try putting her on her left foot, kicking with her right leg. Model makes a lot more sense like that.

I'm not a fan of Wyrd's Madame Sybelle model, so I am going to proxy it with the Dead Lady from Freebooter Miniatures. The Undead Lady's scythe and mask (it's pointy on one end) translate nicely as the Madame's 2" riding crop attack and a 1" iron fan attack.

UNT001_Teile.jpg

Edited by Koyote

Desperate Mercenary

desperatemerc1.jpg

desperatemerc2.jpg

I put my Desperate Mercenaries on cobblestone bases rather than my Rezzer textured bases so that I can use them in my Guild Crew. However, I still want the Mercs to fit in with my Rezzers, so I each base includes a pumpkin and autumn leaf scatter.

Sorry, but could I ask you which are the colours you've used on your graves? I really like the effect you've got there. simple but really nice!

I started with black primer. My base coat was a mix of Chaos Black (GW) and Coldstone Grey (Reaper Miniatures 09173). I used the same two colors for the highlights, but added increasingly more Coldstone Grey to the mix to increasingly lighten the shade.