How to photograph?

maeisaskank

Well I tried a bunch of different things that I stole from the websites that you all have posted and still had no luck. A friend let me use his camera to see if I could get better results and it looks promising, not great, but promising. I won't know until I get them on the computer to see them for what they really are. And I can't get them on my computer until he gets back. So a picture will be posted soon and then hopefully you all can help me. Thanks for everything thus far. <3

1) Get a camera with a good Macro function, so you can get in good and close with the mini

2) Get a good neutral backdrop to photograph against, so that the viewer's attention (not to mention the camera's AI) is focused on the model itself, and not the place it's set in.

3) Set up a photo box where you want to take the picture, so you can get good lighting without distracting shadows (this is also why you don't want to use the flash to take the pictures).

4) Add enough lights to the outside of the photo box to see the model clearly, but not so many that the light washes out the colors. This'll take some practice, but it'll make your photos really shine - especially if you've done a good job on the mini itself.

Of course, if you look at the pictures I've taken of my stuff, you'll notice I've only taken advice point 1 myself... Curse my lazy procrastinat...

Magius out.

The common mistake I usually see is the ISO is usually set too low. If the image comes out grainy increase the ISO and try again.

The second most common mistake is lighting, images are either too hot or dark. I like to use a 3 light system, you need three different light sources and make sure they are all the same type of light. You just need to set on light source to the side, one from above, and one off to the other side a little but in front of the model.

The last thing is shoot using a tripod, it is very hard to test different setting to find what you like without one.

To what others have already said I would add:

1) Lots of lights (I use between 4-5 all very close, like 6-10" from the model and in multiple directions).

2) Camera set to Macro (this setting will usually look like a flower) and manual focus.

3) Camera Proximity to the model (I usually have my camera around 6-10" from the model)

4) Finally, the right color temperture setting on the camera (I use a mix of Daylight and CFL bulbs to help with this). The wrong setting will tint the final image.

The common mistake I usually see is the ISO is usually set too low. If the image comes out grainy increase the ISO and try again.

Currently working with an intro-level Vivitar digicam. Is ISO 400 going to be high enough on macro or should I start shopping for a cam with higher ISO?

Also, when building the "cardboard lightbox", will flourescent lighting be good enough or should I aim for 2-3 "daylight" bulb sources?

ISO 400 should be more then adequite.

I prefer the daylights, though which ever lightbulbs you use just be sure to compensate in camera via the menu's (since you are shooting a digital cam).

P.S. the picture you see in my profile was taking with a point and shoot $100.00 canon digital camera.

Currently working with an intro-level Vivitar digicam. Is ISO 400 going to be high enough on macro or should I start shopping for a cam with higher ISO?

Also, when building the "cardboard lightbox", will flourescent lighting be good enough or should I aim for 2-3 "daylight" bulb sources?

400 is a good setting for all purpose shots. Your images may come out a little darker so lighting will be important.

As for lighting I would say that using more then one light source will be best, or if you only have one light source try using a flash. One of the things I use are desk lamps with the flexible necks. I also like to use fluorescent bulbs in them because the bulb color is a little cooler then typical house lights.

You might find using a flash to compensate for light more difficult in Macro photography because of the proximity to the subject. If you are going to use the flash I would recommend a diffuser (this might have come with the flash, though a piece of tissue paper over the flash can work if not) or off camera flash.

Wow, this is great advice, I am going to post the pictures I took today in the morning (hopefully) and then keep trying for better ones. Hopefully you all will comment the pictures I took and tell me what I did wrong too. Keep in mind that these are way better then the first 50 attempts. haha. Thanks everyone!

Hello, As I'm also quite new to all the photography bussiness, I'd love to hear some advice from you.

I made a simple lightbox, according to some wikihow page, and took these pictures http://rajcze.homelinux.net/fotky/figurky/malifaux/neverborn/ Although it's taken with some 'point and shoot' camera (Canon PowerShot A590) - it has quite decent setting abilities, and I'm sure, it's not even close to what can be done with it.

And yes - i know i should buy a tripod, but all the $$$ is in my Malifaux minis :-D

This is the best guide I've found for Lightboxes: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

Also, as far as a tripod goes... I got one but don't use it. I tend to sit my camera on the same surface as my models. Just make sure you set a timer (most cameras have about a 2s timer) and press and let go so it's not shaking when the picture goes off.

Hello, As I'm also quite new to all the photography bussiness, I'd love to hear some advice from you.

I made a simple lightbox, according to some wikihow page, and took these pictures http://rajcze.homelinux.net/fotky/figurky/malifaux/neverborn/ Although it's taken with some 'point and shoot' camera (Canon PowerShot A590) - it has quite decent setting abilities, and I'm sure, it's not even close to what can be done with it.

And yes - i know i should buy a tripod, but all the $$$ is in my Malifaux minis :-D

Your depth of field and focus are very good, the only thing I would recomend based on your pictures is more light. I would it in front, slightly below the model. I am betting that two lights in this position, one favoring the right side and the other on the left would produce some dramatic results.