Collecting Factions or Masters?

Ivellis

Do you think it's a better idea to collect a faction as a whole, or just the masters you like most and the models that go with them, no matter the faction they're from?

In most games I get a large selection of a single faction and try to stay faction loyal. But I'm not sure if that's the thing to do in Malifaux.

Your thoughts?

Hello,

From my point of view - it depends on the master ;-)

I.E. I love both ress and neverborn, and i have all the models from ress faction (minus seamus & sybelle, because i do not really like these two models).

For neverborn, i'm more master-driven, mostly because i like Zoraida's ability to hire from other factions...

And one of the most important factors, for me, is if i actually like the models - e.g. even though Guild seems to be strong and all, i won't collect the models, since i don't like their looks.

Prepare for Some Prejudice!

I play guild, and I plan on buying EVERY guild model. Here is my philosophy, with three masters and ever guild model I have a Wide Variety of what I can field. I can run a Lady J, Guardsman Buff Group, or a Ortega Witchling Rush, or if I'm feeling really saucy Sonnia, Austringer Nino Artillery Battery lol or a mix of anything with anyone. It opens the flood gates to anything really. Plus I know for a fact that my purchases are finite. I only have to buy all guild models, and then I'm done. [[.because how the game works you'll only need at MAX 4 of any one model, at any one time.]]

For example, if I decided to run McMourning, Lady J, and Sonnia. I'd get there starter boxes. Maybe I'd buy a few canines for McM, and a flesh construct here and there. That's fine, but then I realize, oh wait! Belles are awesome for McM even though they go with Seamus, so I end up picking them up as well to see if I can do a McMourning Wood group [[.excuse the terrible pun and stupid joke lol.]] so if you go by master your expenses aren't as controlled.

but if you Big Pockets, or expenses don't influences anything, then go by what masters you like since the master dictates a major part of the flow of combat; what you bring to the table, and why. Plus, you might not like Neverborn but Love Pandora lol so it's all up to you.

Edited by gunpowder saint

My personal tastes and play styles is to collect the masters I like the look of. If there are other minions in the faction that I like or have proxied and liked I will either weigh up buying the starter set for the models or just buy the blister for the models.

YMMV.

D.

Yes, that's the way I started - selected minis i liked, choose the starters with the highest "concentration" of these, and after playing some proxied games, i bought the miniatures i either liked to play, or wanted to paint :)

I'm into the focused faction thing. I was really drawn to the Ressers for some reason, maybe it's my love of Rob Zombie...

I plan on collecting all of the Resser models I can, probably getting multiples of some of the ones that require that, like the doggies, and punks (necro and samurai), I also need to have a couple vultures and Killjoy, because he's my M.F.T of pain.

[i see what you did thar, GPS...]

[[.because how the game works you'll only need at MAX 4 of any one model, at any one time.]]

Why do you say this? I am not aware of any ruling that limits you to only 4 of a particular model. There have been games where I have had 5 or 6 punk zombies on the table with Nicodem, or 7-8 spiders with Ramos. I can think of a lot of reasons to have more than 4 of a particular model.

I'm going the "Master's I like and models that go with them" route.

So far I've picked up Nico and at least one pack of every zombie. My Gremlins should arrive today. Again...at least one of everything (multiples on pigs and skeeters).

Once they're done I plan on picking up the Hag followed by Levi.

Luckily I'll get some cross faction synergy with Levi and Nico and Z and the Gremlins.

I tend to go the route of whatever model looks cool, or whatever ability sounds cool - not always the most powerful. For example, I now have to pick up Som'er Teeth Jones because of the bayou goblin's "Look'e here!" (or something like that) ability. It's all a matter of what you enjoy playing, and how.

I like having a few different small factions, just for the variety. And with Malifaux, it's cheap enough to do that. Rather than $50 for a troops choice that'll make up 10% of your army (I'm looking at you, GW), you spend $35 and get an entirely new fully-playable faction. Well, $45 if you're one of those types of people that need a separate dice set / deck for each faction you play.

There is something to be said for having faction loyalty - you don't have as many models to get if you're a completionist, and you have more options out of the second box.

~ SemanticDM

Do you think it's a better idea to collect a faction as a whole, or just the masters you like most and the models that go with them, no matter the faction they're from?

In most games I get a large selection of a single faction and try to stay faction loyal. But I'm not sure if that's the thing to do in Malifaux.

Your thoughts?

I'm a little late to the game here but I'd say collect a faction and then branch out into some Outcast stuff to round out your faction's weaknesses.

I personally started with Lillith as she was the most appealing to me. Then Pandora. Reluctantly the hag. My new favorite btw.

Honestly, with the option (is that even the right word?) to build your crew AFTER you determine where you are playing and what you need to accomplish a standardized crew doesn't make sense. Zoraida's Silurid minions are awesome in the bayou. You wind up downtown though and you may find yourself severely lacking in the water terrain. Find your objective requires more mobility? Terror tots or something fast can't go wrong.

Gunpowder saint hit pretty close to the truth though , as he said, he's biased by being a guild player.

Disclaimer: I don't have book 2 and am holding of on reading most book 2 threads till I have it.

Guild is the best faction to be loyal to as it has a huge level of compatability between different masters and minions.

Ressers are next in line every master branchs out from their box for versatility and of course you basically need the whole faction to run Nico to his full potential.

Then you have the rest in Arcanists, sure everyone wants Cerebus sometimes for speed and sometimes Ramos wants a couple Gamin for attacking hard targets but Ramos needs mechanical spiders, Tina needs cult of december and Marcus needs beasts. In Neverborn Lillith needs Nephalim and maybe Waldgeists and Pandi generally wants more Wp targeting models Zoraida brings the faction together somewhat as she runs well with just about anything.

Outcasts are the biggest argument for going by individual master. You need alot of models for Leveticus and this will probably lead you to eventually get Ressers or Ramos. The Viktorias need a ton of mercenaries which will give more options to all of your crews while Somer'teeth needs a crew that's basically useless to everyone else.

I focus on a specific faction. If I didn't force a specialization on myself, I'd be homeless, living under a pile of Wyrd miniatures. I do own every Resurrectionist model currently available, even goofy Seamus (though he's not included amongst the Masters I play, I really don't care for his model; I wish I did, I love his fluff and his stat card).

That said, I may end up dabbling in the Outcast faction down the road, if only to avoid being totally predictable when building a crew. I already own several mercs who could use the company.

Edited by Hatchethead

My personal tastes and play styles is to collect the masters I like the look of. If there are other minions in the faction that I like or have proxied and liked I will either weigh up buying the starter set for the models or just buy the blister for the models.

YMMV.

D.

I am pretty much the same as the above.

I had found that those masters were mostly neverborn and res but Collette is challenging that.