Box Sets for New Players Question

Greetings all,

New player here from Central California.

My Girlfriend and I each want to pick u a starter box and get these on the table.

My question:

are the Legion of Sorrow and the Redchappel Gang a decent way to start?

How do they match-up vs. one another.

Are they ok for the initial learning curve (I read they are)

will they expand well, or should we somehow choose one "good" faction to balance them out?

We like these minis best, however.

She plays card games and I am a miniature wargame player (both skirmish and squad based) for about 15 years. We pick things up quick but I wanted to grab some expert advice for newbies to the Malifaux world.

Thanks in advance for your help.

My boyfriend and I started out with those exact same starting box sets. I'm extremely new to wargaming and haven't grasped all the rules and tactics yet. I've played three games with Pandora (two vs Seamus, one vs gremlins) and lost all three...by a lot. Again, I haven't even come close to figuring out the Legion of Sorrows tactics yet...all I know is that Seamus and his Copy Cat Killer are insane vicious against Pandora if they get their shots off. Although I have heard Pandora is one of the toughest masters to figure out, but worth it to figure out.

Not much help in answering your question, but that's just been my experience being super new to the game. (She's fun as hell to paint though :proud: )

Heres what I got for ya, Now the Leigon of sorrows is alot of fun, and really good too, the only issue is they are an army that is incredibly cerebral, they require tons of thought, and not only that this is thought that comes after an understanding of the rules, dont get me wrong its not impossible by any means but its gonna be tricky. The Red Chappel Gang on the other hand is fun easy and only gets better as you learn the rules, I reccomend them for begginers all day long. The Death Marshals is a great beginner set as is Liliths Brood ( I think thats what its called) and Ramos has a good one too, hope that helps.

Thanx Dais and thaehl.

Regarding the trickiness of the legion of sorrows, I have a couple more questions.

I tend to enjoy finesse armies, but I've heard the Legion has some kind of ability that grants them more miniatures. I want to avoid flooding a small game with summoning of sorts, as well as avoid using an figure whose point cost I am not getting the maximum out of.

If they are the more difficult of the two I will let my gf play Red Chappel.

It is often a pet peeve of mine when players post questions such as this without reading the rules, but like I said we want to make one bulk purchase.

Secondly, what is a good shooty army?

Thank you

Actually the Red Chapel gang(Seamus crew) is the one that summons models(more belles). Pandora and her sorrows do not have any summoning ability.

Pandora and her crew are very trick and I don't recommend them to new players. They are crew that relies less on attacking your enemy and more on having them take WP(Will Power) tests that cause them to lose health a point at a time.

Seamus and the Red Chapel are a good straight forward crew. If you are looking for a good match up for them thats shooty, I highly recommend Perdita and the Oregas. Also Lady Justice and the Death Marshals are a good fun match that has a good deal of shooting as well.

I am still new to Malifaux as well, (thaehl introduced me to this game not too long ago,) and I picked up Pandora as my starter. I am enjoying the manner in which she plays quite a bit! The way she operates is in preventing or hindering opponents from acting while causing them all to take gradual damage throughout.

Pandora is slow, so she is not suited for the impatient, and the little bits of damage that she deals would be disagreeable to players that like to see quick kills and instant results.

If your girlfriend prefers to slowly manipulate her opponents in gaming rather than striking with an outright assault, then Pandora is the way to go.

If not, though, she may consider looking elsewhere to start.

OK all, we are probably going with Legion of Sorrow and Red Chappel, because:

A.) we like the miniature lines the best from these two factions overall

and

B.) with my gaming experience I can probably adjust to the learning curve fairly quickly.

so my last question for now:

Do we need other miniatures?

One Teddy, perhaps, to swap out Candy until I get the hang of things?

What about Seamus' summon ability? Should I buy additional miniatures and use that ability right away? (Does his survival depend on it).

Thanks so much for the advice. A new LGS that is opening this month in town is going to carry, and have me demo, this game.

I may pick up Lillith or Lady J as a third demo box if necessary, but as for additional figures needed now please give feedback on just the two boxes above -- Seamus and Legion.

Thank you again, and cheers from California

I play Seamus, I have a few extra Belles just in case but honestly it's very rare to summon extra belles and when I do I'm usually just bringing one back that has already died. Seamus out of the box is pretty nifty...adding the Copy Cat Killer is a must...for larger games I like Bette Noir as well.

Like I said not really necessary to pick up extra belles right away. From time to time you might need an extra one...for proxy belle models (I hate repeat miniatures) I use these from hasslefree they fit the scale pretty decent...

BellesB.jpg