Hoarcats - Worth it for Marcus?

Dance Commander

I prefer Silurids myself - super fast.

+1 I prefer Slurids over the cats. If the SS count allows you to take more than one Slurid, they are worth it, otherwise, if you aren't playing on a water terrain, you may as well go with a Waldgeist, as they are good too and don't suffer from terrain Dg.

Both are nice, IMO.

Ooo! I love me some Waldgeist action.

My last 35ss game with Marcus was

Marcus

Jackalope

Cerberus

Waldgeist

x3 Silurids

Moleman

It was surprisingly effective. The Waldgeist moved a forest across the board allowing the Cerberus his extra prowl move and keeping everyone screened while they moved up.

Once my opponent started to split around the forest to engage me, I used the massive speed of the list to target the models on one side of the forest - then the other next turn.

The Waldgeist effectively cut his force in half totally giving me the win.

Silurids and Waldgeist are the best models currently availible for marc. it is a constant source of teasing from my opponents who suggest I just should play neverborn and be done with it :P

Cats are good against SOME opponents. Undead don't have a lot of shooting and not that much of WP, so they have hard time both defending against devour and breaking the harmless. In fact, i've had my kitties eat mcmourning last game this way after he shot out his soulstones to avoid being hit by two silurids and marc (would've killed him too if he didnt eat SS to block damage and then fully revive himself by killing marc and both silurids in one activation). Against guild I'd not do it, too much shooting and average to good WP to survive. Haven't played against neverborn yet, not sure but I think they're too fast to home in two cats on one target.

For Marcus, I think I would take Silurids over Hoarcats most of the time. The speed is too good to pass up. However, I could imagine bringing 3 Silurids + 3 Hoarcats and hsi Totem to a 35 SS game.

Hoarcats are very solid on their own and don't necessarily need too much support from other models (except each other). Average stats for a 5 SS model, a bunch of useful abilities: Pass Through, Harmless and Voracious being the top, Melee Expert (this is rare on models this cheap!) and Eat Your Fill. Add in solid damage output with Rip Throat and an instakill option with Devour, what's not to love with the kittens? They only need :crows to function, which very few Arcanists need for anything useful (I think the Arachnid Swarm and Rattler are the only ones). If you have a decent amount of terrain, advancing them to combat range should not be too difficult with Harmless and cover.

Undead don't have a lot of shooting and not that much of WP, so they have hard time both defending against devour and breaking the harmless. In fact, i've had my kitties eat mcmourning last game this way after he shot out his soulstones to avoid being hit by two silurids and marc (would've killed him too if he didnt eat SS to block damage and then fully revive himself by killing marc and both silurids in one activation).

Undead have an easy time resisting Devour. It can only target living models. However, their Masters are very vulnerable against it and they do have lowish Wp. Also, Undead don't have Armor so use your :crows on Rip Throat instead.

Against guild I'd not do it, too much shooting and average to good WP to survive.

Guild Shooting hurts a lot. However, those that ignore cover have lower Wp so have a harder time versus Harmless. Still, I would prefer Silurids to counter the shooting.

Haven't played against neverborn yet, not sure but I think they're too fast to home in two cats on one target.

Neverborn don't have too high Wp values. 4 or 5 is the norm so Harmless will kick in often. They also have lots of Ht 1 models to Devour, although their high Df hinders it a bit.

And they're great against Gremlins too. Stampeding Pigs do not ignore Harmless so they can act as a defense against those, or at least eat some cards.

-Ropetus

Undead have an easy time resisting Devour. It can only target living models.

Sorry, I forgot about that if I ever find a way to use something, it turns out it's illegal or been faq'd already. But I'll just start a thread on what I mean sometime soon.