1st crew, help needed-ish

Hi. I'm new to Malifaux and can not wait to play my first game. I have roped in a friend and he's got the Ramos box which, according to my math is 28 SS, so lets say we play a 30SS game so he can play with everything he has.

I bought a few minis from a site selling off Maliminis cheap:

3 Belles

3 Punks

Bete Noire

Copycat Killer

I also have the Seamus box.

Our first game might well be spent playing/rule checking in a 50/50 mix SO, for 30SS I was thinking either:

Seamus

Sybelle

3 Belles

2 Punks for 28SS + 4SS to play with

OR

Seamus

Sybelle

3 Belles

Bete for 27SS + 5SS for moments where fate needs encouragement.

Would these be good for a first game? Any other ideas (and helpful tactics) I should also consider would also be appreciated.

Thanks muchly.

Hi. I'm new to Malifaux and can not wait to play my first game. I have roped in a friend and he's got the Ramos box which, according to my math is 28 SS, so lets say we play a 30SS game so he can play with everything he has.

I bought a few minis from a site selling off Maliminis cheap:

3 Belles

3 Punks

Bete Noire

Copycat Killer

I also have the Seamus box.

Our first game might well be spent playing/rule checking in a 50/50 mix SO, for 30SS I was thinking either:

Seamus

Sybelle

3 Belles

2 Punks for 28SS + 4SS to play with

OR

Seamus

Sybelle

3 Belles

Bete for 27SS + 5SS for moments where fate needs encouragement.

Would these be good for a first game? Any other ideas (and helpful tactics) I should also consider would also be appreciated.

Thanks muchly.

I might actually recommend not fielding everything for your first game and lowering the soulstone amount. If you feel like you can handle it, though, good on you.

I would not include Bete. I think people really have mixed feelings on her, and I have fielded her myself to subpar performances when I didn't really prep properly. I think you'll be happier with the 2 Punks. And remember, it gives you an extra activation, which is always nice.

Anyway, like I said, I'd think about dropping down to 20 or 25. And I wouldn't worry about tactics too much for your first game, either. Not that you won't be able to handle it, but rather that if you just focus on the models' on their own you'll start to get a feel for some things yourself. Worry more about "combos" and things for your second game.

That's my advice, but it's not necessarily the best ;) Good luck!

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much on list composition. Part of the fun of learning Malifaux is in the discovery of the different strengths and weaknesses of each model, and of all of the different synergies that the abilities offer.

That said, the Punks are fun, but so is Bete. She has a slight learning curve to her, but it can be incredibly fun to watch her frustrate the daylights out of your opponent.

If you did want to play a smaller game, suggest to your opponent that he break down one of his Arachnid Swarms into 3 of the 3pt arachnids, as there is no model available for them, and their ability to scatter and swarm together is a major part of their flavor.

All the same, congrats on getting into the game, and make sure to post a battle report soon...

yeah I would also lower your soul stone cost

I play Ramos actually and I would say

Ramos

steamborg - 10

swarm - 9

and have the last three arachnids on 30 mm bases

arachnid - 3 just start with one on the field

that leaves you 5 SS including Ramos 2 SS

and then you have 2 Arachnids to summon in later for 25 point list this gives you the chance to see how each of your figures work including summoning, and swarming spiders

now for the belles I have no idea but I bet someone else has a good idea

I would run

Seamus

Copy Cat

Belle

Sybelle

Punk Zombie

Punk Zombie

Punk Zombie

One full round with a punk zombie in base to base and whatever it is up against if probably dead. If not then when they kill it slow to die should finish them off. Nothing will empty your opponents hand and soul stone reserve like paired flurried katanas.

Thankies all, your comments and best wishes warm my heart (I have experience of far less friendly forums).

My opponent is a little anal though so trying to convince him to lower the points might be tricky but the point about breaking down the swarm might help.

I was favoring the punks over Bete only to get more corpse tokens and raise more belles. Must say I find ProdigalPunk's list intriguing...

Thanks again and the bat-rep will be forthcoming when the deed is done.

Also, I forgot to mention it before, but when you get a chance, buy some dogs.

If you are going to play against Ramos, then pretty much all of your corpse tokens are going to come from your own guys. I would not worry to much about summoning too often, just keep Seamus alive to summon the occasional replacement Belle to grind out Ramos resources while will the punks zero in on Ramos.