Basecoat Question

icemantis99

Okay, this is probably a stupid question, but...

Looking at painting guides, I'm supposed to mix my base coat paint with water about 3-to-1 before painting, but I can't find a way to get te paint out of the bottles in anything other than a dollop. It's really inefficient- I waste a ton of paint pouring it out, and too much always comes out. Should I mix a large batch and store it seperately, am I missing a tool or something...? Sorry if this is a "duh" question, but while I like what I'm painting, mostly, my basecoats are pretty thick, especially on small stuff like Arachnids. Help? Thanks for your time.

He is talking about the basecoat, not the primer. What I do when I am using GW paints is use the opposite end of the brush to dip into the paint and pull some paint out onto my pallet. But, I generally prefer Reaper paints since they come in a dropper bottle and they are local to my area.

I use an empty Vallejo bottle (you can buy then on Ebay for peanuts) for water, since you can control it just like a water dropper. When using GW paints I either take a bit of paint out the pot with an old paintbrush and drop it on my palette or add the water directly to the back of the lid (it forms a little cup when you tip it back and - once you're finished - the added water helps keep the rest of your paint fresh.

Sholto

What I do when using GW style paint pots is to just use my brush to pick up a couple of drops. I mostly use Vallejo paints though which have a dropper bottle and allows you to deposit a small amount as needed on the palette.

I then have a small plastic dropper/pipette thing which I picked up from Muji which I use to drop in water to the required dilution.

Being new to painting you have to understand... You will always waste a bit of paint. This will happen for various reasons and there is nothing you can really do about it. But remember, the paintjars/bottle look pretty small but they go a long, long way when it comes to painting figures.

When I used enamel paints (in the dim dark past) I had tins of paint that I literaly had for 10 years or more. In fact I had one tin of dark red Humbrol paint that lasted 15 years. Honestly... And I used every single drop in the tin!!!

If you don't put the Vallejo caps on tight, they tend to develop clogs that need to be poked through with a pin. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BOTTLE HARD to unplug it (or your shirt will turn Beastial Brown too).

Heh. We're still finding blobs of dried paint on walls and bookcases from when a friend did exactly the same with one of my paints during a painting session!

If you don't put the Vallejo caps on tight, they tend to develop clogs that need to be poked through with a pin. DO NOT SQUEEZE THE BOTTLE HARD to unplug it (or your shirt will turn Beastial Brown too).

You can open Vallejo bottles and mix them with a normal mixing stick just like any other paints. The "dripper" part is removable and if there are clogs, you can simply wash it separately.