starting arcanists

hieronymous

hi

my friends and i have just got into Malifaux, im going for arcanist and have picked up the Ramos box and Injun Joss, im a bit concerned ill be lacking in firepower (was more impulse buys of the faction and figure !), what would you recommend adding ?

i quite like the december acolyte, but am unsure what else i need

thanks

Well while you will be missing a little in the Ranged category, you wil not be lacking in anyway on the "firepower" category. Ramos and his man Joss are quite the team of evil and nasty.

you might want to take a look at this thread: http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7597

it starts out in the negative, but there are about 7 pages of data and thoughts on ramos (and don't let the thread start fool you)

I just played my first game with Ramos today (after starting with Tina and expanding) and I did quite well. In fact, I won!

I used Joss, but I have to say, the star of my game was Rusty Alyce. She dropped Samael AND Sonnia and lived to tell about it. Rapid Fire and Headshot are deadly, especially if you get lucky and have the Red Joker in your hand (as I did, ended up dropping Sonnia in one attack!)

Anyway, that was just pure luck, but I am satisfied that Alyce is a good investment for a Ramos crew.

• 2 weeks later...

on another note are there any other arcanists that go well with ramos, and more specifically can someone tell me which minis belong to witch masters faction - ie joss is listed as being from m,s & u, are ther any others from m,s & u ?

thanks

(still awaiting my rulebook so unsure yet !)

Well, any Master can hire any Minions from their faction. Any models "belonging" to a certain Master are only about thematics and often they have more synergy with those (for example Ramos with Constructs and Marcus with Beasts).

For Arcanists the themes go like this:

Marcus: all the animals + Myranda

Ramos: all the mechanical Contructs + Joss

Rasputina: ice constructs + December Acolyte + Hoarcats

However, these are not set in stone. There are plenty of options with mix and match: for example Rasputina also works well with the Sabertooth Cerberus and Molemen and Ramos with Tina's Ice Constructs.

At the moment there are three M&SU models in the game: Ramos, Joss and Johan, an Outcast Mercenary (who also works quite well with Ramos).

-Ropetus

I think it would depend on your style of play. Marcus and his beasts can be super fast, especially if he goes with Silurids, but Marcus and friends could be your first assault to soften up the enemy while Ramos and all the slower armored constructs would be the second wave. The constructs could shield the beasts in a slower advance then let the beasts jump out when closer. This pair might also make a nice hammer and anvil plan with Ramos holding and advancing up the center as the anvil and Marcus swooping around the outside to set up as the hammer.

Rasputina is a lot like Ramos in that her starter crew can take damage well. What Raspy and her guys bring is some nice distance attacks. Raspy with the Essence of Power and her Ice Mirror ability can throw some serious damage out to 16". The December Acolyte is the ultimate Saboteur or Treasure Hunter.