Lets talk Hans! Hans hans hans!

TimeLapse

I picked up Hans more for the Headshot thing than anything else. Assuming you can get the trigger off, the damage flip becomes irrelevant.

Granted, he'd need to be in a position to take a shot when the opponent is out (or almost out) of control cards, but in the right situation, he can be devastating. (Imagine 1-shotting a Peacekeeper.)

I admit it's tricky, but if you can pull it off...

(And yes, I like trying for those tricky bits.)

There's also the already mentioned mercenary thing. Part of Hans' cost is because he can go with almost any crew.

Think of putting him with Nino or Rusty Alyce. That's 2 models in the same crew with Headshot. Even more tricky, I admit, but the potential should make any opponent at least a bit nervous. If they go after your Headshot models, they're leaving the rest of your crew alone, and if they go after everyone else, your 'snipers' can go headhunting.

Well I did try a Zoraida list with Hans and Hamelin, and it did help a lot for the shooting. I managed to take out a flesh construct in one turn. However my list was terribly lacking of hard CC hitter, so I wouldn't use it again.

I do find Hans hard to play, but I think simply because I am not using him right as I feel he has good potential, and it's all about placing him right: too far he can't reach anything, too close and his in melee in turn 2 or three. I think I haven't used my tougher fighters to cover him enough, and since he can shoot through people, it should really be the way to play him I think, topped up with a couple of obey per turn.

Love the model, and I will make it work!

Perdita 30ss list

List idea,

Perdita 4ss pool

Nino -7ss

Hans -9ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Of course this depends on the map but I think this list would have a good chance in a game.

Guild gaurds might be handy instead of teh witchlings with armor 1 and halt could be helpful to keep the enamy out of combat and there corden could keep models out of your shooters.

Perdita 30ss list

List idea,

Perdita 4ss pool

Nino -7ss

Hans -9ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Witchling stalker -4ss

Of course this depends on the map but I think this list would have a good chance in a game.

Guild gaurds might be handy instead of teh witchlings with armor 1 and halt could be helpful to keep the enamy out of combat and there corden could keep models out of your shooters.

Let us know how it goes.

• 1 month later...

So i did it and played hans along side with Nino!!

I played vs another guild player and found out how good hans is VS nino! Bulletproof 2 normaly means that has is only takeing 1 wound from ranged attacks.

The biggest advantage Hans has over Nino is damage! believe it or not!

Here is what Hans becames if played right

He is a CB 5:rams

Damage 4,4,7 (If you flip a ram in the attack)

Damage 3,3,6 (Normaly since you atuo have a ram)

Attack flips get :+fate

Damage flips get :+fate:+fate

Things to remember with hans

Crit hit with rams means that he is at lest a 3,3,6 for damage. If you pull a ram he is a 4,4,7.

Next thing to remember is his custum ammo ability that gives him a :+fate on damage flips if you are fireing against certen things.

Next you must always remeber that he can use the Focus ability that takes two actions but gives him :+fate in attack flips and :+fate in damage flips.

This is great for helping kill those hard to wound characters in the game. also this also means that Hans has a good chance on cheating his damage.

Where Nino may get 2 or more shoots damge 2 or 3 off in a turn Hans gets the one high damage 6 or 7 shoot each turn or if he does not focus he still gets :+fate to his damage flips and shoot the same target 2 times giving him anywhere from 6-14 damage in one turn.

He also has the ablity to bypass armor witch is a great ablity to have on a sniper.

Having both Nino and Hans is powerful, useing obay on the with Pedita/Totem is also vary powerful.

Hans is vary powerfull if played right.

I completely changed my viewpoint on him.

I hope these tactics help you guys use hans more effectively.

-Andrew

Edited by TimeLapse

So i did it and played hans along side with Nino!!

I played vs another guild player and found out how good hans is VS nino! Bulletproof 2 normaly means that has is only takeing 1 wound from ranged attacks.

The biggest advantage Hans has over Nino is damage! believe it or not!

Here is what Hans becames if played right

He is a CB 5:rams

Damage 4,4,7 (If you flip a ram in the attack)

Damage 3,3,6 (Normaly since you atuo have a ram)

Attack flips get :+fate

Damage flips get :+fate:+fate

Things to remember with hans

Crit hit with rams means that he is at lest a 3,3,6 for damage. If you pull a ram he is a 4,4,7.

Next thing to remember is his custum ammo ability that gives him a :+fate on damage flips if you are fireing against certen things.

Next you must always remeber that he can use the Focus ability that takes two actions but gives him :+fate in attack flips and :+fate in damage flips.

This is great for helping kill those hard to wound characters in the game. also this also means that Hans has a good chance on cheating his damage.

Where Nino may get 2 or more shoots damge 2 or 3 off in a turn Hans gets the one high damage 6 or 7 shoot each turn or if he does not focus he still gets :+fate to his damage flips and shoot the same target 2 times giving him anywhere from 6-14 damage in one turn.

He also has the ablity to bypass armor witch is a great ablity to have on a sniper.

Having both Nino and Hans is powerful, useing obay on the with Pedita/Totem is also vary powerful.

Hans is vary powerfull if played right.

I completely changed my viewpoint on him.

I hope these tactics help you guys use hans more effectively.

-Andrew

How much terrain did you play? I'm just wondering how far away you were able to shoot with him before the enemy was in his face/in melee.

In the game I played with both Nino And Hans there were four big hills and about 6 big buildings and a forest type terrain. The table had some good lanes for fireing and I was playing against Sonia Crid.I had perdita as my Master and also had a guild guard and Santiago. I got shoots at 16 inches for both of them on turn 2.

I killed his Smaul hopkins and all but one witchiling stalker by turn 3 and killed the last one on turn 4 leaving him with his nino and Sonia. At that point he conceded the game since there was no hope on wining in a ranged fight, at that time i lost only Santiago because i forgot to hold cards back to defend headshoot.

Some of the realazions about hans I was not able to use in the game because i forgot about the Focus rule all together and never thought about pairing that with hans.

In the game itself it took my opponent about 3 turns to get to Hans and get him into melee range with a witchling stalker, one he replaced one of my crew with, also he took all of his movement to do so. I was dumb and had Nin oand hans right next to each other and he was able to get both of them in melee range, I used where he go with Nino and then shoot into combat killing the stalker and missing hans by the luck of the draw when using the shooting into combat rule.

I forgot also about defensive stance, if i would have used that on hans and then disengage with him first I would have had a big chance of getting out of the combat, and if i didn’t then i would have a +2 to my flip if my shooting into combat gamble went south.

The thing to remember with hans it to keep a good melee character near him to charge the small characters like witchling stalkers and the like from getting too close. I like perdita for that, keep my master back and safe, useing her speed and good melee abilities to charge incomeing models and also useing her quick draw to stop charges that i can kill with a single shoot. I also like casting obay on Hans or Nino to get them a free move/shoot off in a turn. I almost always forget that Perdita is great in melee since here CB is always 7 and she has crit on her gun and she also has DF 8. Its all really good.

I been thinking about adding her totem to cast Obay a 2nd time.

One list i have been thinking about using is the following

Perdita

Nino 7

Hans 9

Peacekeeper 9

2 Witchling stalkers/Death marshals 4

Total 33

Leaving me with 4SS

Take out the peacekeeper for 25 point games and take out one of the 4 pointers for a 30ss game.

But i dont own the peace keeper yet so for now i run

Perdita

Nino 7

Hans 9

2 witchling stalkers 4

Santiago 7 / Samael hopkins

But those all depend on the map.

Edited by TimeLapse

He has two shots with pretty low damage considering his cost. If I'm dropping 8SS I want something that can either put up some damage or allow other units to put up damage. Do yourself a favor and pass on Hans unless you're stacking some crazy Headshot discard strategy.

He has two shots with pretty low damage considering his cost. If I'm dropping 8SS I want something that can either put up some damage or allow other units to put up damage. Do yourself a favor and pass on Hans unless you're stacking some crazy Headshot discard strategy.

I would not say that Hans has low damage, This being because the errata gave hans a CB of 5 (Rams) and up his damage to 2/2/5. Now that he has rams he atuo Critical strikes, this makes his base damage 3/3/6. Now for a gun that can shoot 16 inches, shoot though models and cover without a -1 flip and does at lest 3 wounds I say that good basic damage. Now if you though in the fact that if you get a ram on the flip his damage goes to 4/4/7, with two hits thats 8 damage min. in one turn.

Now thats if you just shoot normal, you then add in armor piercing and he awesome vs models with armor, or you can use silver or wooden bullets to get a +1 to your damage flips, that would help hans in cheating to get 7 wounds with the possablity of inflecting 14 wounds on one model at range 16 with the sinper talent.

Now headshoot is a bonus ablitiy after that.

Also with bulletproof 2 he is one of the best models to go Nino hunting/any ranged base model hunting.

After I found out how to use hans I dont think that I can say anymore that he has low damage. Having a base of 3 is biger then normal and having the possabilty to have base of 4 is even biger.

Edited by TimeLapse

I have to agree that Hans has alot of good points. He has won me more games than misaki has. Find some hard cover and run interfereance for him and he's a golden child. And if you activate him last you have a good chance of getting off head shot. Having a 3 on weak damage is an excelent stat ( given the crit hit) usually that's reserved for power hitters. The only not great stat is his moderate damage ( and his cb is Meh). But he has potential for great defense and his buffs usually give him the edge in any given game. While 7-8 points is alot Hans actually fits that point range profile if you look at other models in that point range: rusty Alyce, hanged, Santiago ect(cept for Betty who is uber awsome).

I have been wondering whether Hans would be effective immediately behind the Viks melee line as a way of targetting spellcasters lurking in the backfield using cheaper models as blockers. If positioned a few inches behind the Viks or Ronin, he will be hard to target but will be able to shoot through melee at enemy models within 16" (and many spells have much lower ranges).

Does this sound feasible?

I use him in my vic army to do just that,also to kill other ranged models like nino since he has bulletproof he normaly wins that battle.

This is my 35 point list

First the two vics

Convict Gunlsinger 5

Hans 8

Tealor/or Misaki Depends on if i play models with armor 8/7

Ronin 5

Ronin 5

Left with 4/5 SS for my Viks, with the ablity to res her at lest once per game.

I set my 2 sword vik put frount with the Ronin and Tealor/Misaki as my Melee front set the convict in the mid area with the other Vik and hans in the rear. His siper trait is awesome. this alows him to shoot though models and cover so he can sit back and shoot, but he still has issues shooting into combat but he can pick them off as the get closer and hit anything they set in reserve.

Hope this helps, but as always it all depends on the game you are playing and the your objects.

-Andrew Haught