n00b question

durek

My wife and myself will be starting Malifaux soon and ordering if we can get a few questions answered first.

1- We are looking at getting 2 box sets Mercenaries Box Set (The Viktorias) & The Redchappel Gang - Crew. Are they balanced in points since they are both box sets? Are they any good?

2- I would like to puchase the "Copycat Killer" for the Redchapel Gang. Can he join them or is he for another Resurectionist Faction? If He can join that gang what other model should be added to the Mercenaries Box Set (The Viktorias) to balance out the points?

Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: We do play other mini games like WFB, 40K, Confrontation and Warmachine if this helps to explain better...

Both of the crews are quite good and can do very nice stuff

the viktorias'crew is a little more expensive in points than the redchapel one, however, if you had the copycat killer (that is done especially for the redchapel crew) it should be fine.

Viktoria's crew worth 24 points, when seamus one with the copycat killer should be around 20.

So if you just put away one of the mercenary you should be able to play balance game to learn

Edited by eusebe

Both of the crews are quite good and can do very nice stuff

the viktorias'crew is a little more expensive in points than the redchapel one, however, if you had the copycat killer (that is done especially for the redchapel crew) it should be fine.

Thx- thats good to hear since we picked the crews on looks only, LoL

Is there anything else we should add before ordering?

Two fate decks would be fine

they are nice cards and this is more nice to play with them

If you wish to increase the game, for the viktorias ronin are a must have and are cool model anyway.

For the resurectionnist, I don't know them enough to know what works well with seamus and the redchappel crew

One suggestion for when you finally get your stuff.

Start small. Play a couple games with just a master and 1 other model. That way you can learn the basics without having a ton of different specific rules to work out. Plus you can really focus on a single model to learn how they work. The games will be quicker, too, so you can get a couple games in while you work through the rules.

That's how my wife and I have been learning the game, and it's been going great.

Even if your 2 crews are off by a couple of stones, remember you can keep some in a pool for use during the game (in addition to any you might get from your master). Just keep an eye on what the max Soulstone pool size is for the game your playing.

The Copycat Killer, BTW, is an excellent addition to Seamus' Crew, even if you only take the extra .50 Flintlock shot into account. (I've faced it, and it's brutal.)

Eusebe's right about getting Ronin for the Victorias' crew, too. (You need at least one to do 'Another One?'--one of their more interesting/effective spells.)

Also, if you get the Ronin box, I believe it comes with 3 of them, and since they're mercenaries, you could add them to either crew (though Seamus would have to pay 1 extra Soulstone to hire them).

That I can answer! Green for Ressurectionists, Gold for the Outcasts (Viktorias).

Yay, me!

:congrats:

Thx :)

One suggestion for when you finally get your stuff.

Start small. Play a couple games with just a master and 1 other model. That way you can learn the basics without having a ton of different specific rules to work out. Plus you can really focus on a single model to learn how they work. The games will be quicker, too, so you can get a couple games in while you work through the rules.

That's how my wife and I have been learning the game, and it's been going great.

Ya we've done that in the past; works wonders for her since she's new to the hobby (only 2 yrs for her Vs my 17yrs).

Just trying to figure out stuff for equal games in one purchase.

Looking at Viktorias starter + ronin [thx Eusebe] & Seamus starter +copycat killer and something else to balance points out. From what Ive read in the forums thus far i think Deamus and the CC killer would be low on points vs Vik & ronin? Any suggestions since i dont knwo the points? I was thinking of 1 of these 4 models:

- Grave Spirirt

- Samurai-Punk Zombies

- Mortimer - The Gravedigger

- Convict Gunslinger, Mercenary

???

@ Gremlin Swarm

ok didnt know you could have reseve pts.....hmmm i guess i wouldn't need extra help for Seamus just yet then.

Are the rules for each model in the rule book or do you have to buy the model like new Warmachine stuff to find out what they do?

Is there anything else we should add before ordering?

Well there are a few troops that work well with Seamus and there are few troops that help give him some striking power. I find that the zombie dogs help make is fear attacks work better with if you can get their melee trigger to work. The second troop I would suggest is the Hanged, they have a lot of conditional abilities that trigger with failed moral tests. If you are looking for troops that add more punch, then I would suggest the zombie punks. they are great melee fighters and hit much harder then the average undead. It would not hurt to also add a second pack of Belles, for summoning and well more zombie hookers are always cool.

So vik with ronin are quite easily playable in 35 soulstones (you will have the opportunity to spare some soulstones just not hiring one of the mercenary)

The max hirepoints you can keep with you is 8. So you will have to take additionnal stuff with seamus.

You can only have a totem at a time, so if you have copycat killer, you can't have another one.

the stuff to add to your crew could be

Canine remains (weak but fast, can play with corpse)

necropunk (weak but better than dogs, don't like them but...)

Samourai punk zombies (hazardous, very hazardous, but a little fragile, fun anyway)

Bête noire (pretty nasty effect, I like her, and as it's a girl she is fine with seamus (just for style, not for rules)

Hanged (very nasty, but expensive)

Nurses (good effects, good mini)

and some other I can't remember

i would more advice bête noire and nurse cause it's fun to have only ladys with seamus, I would avoid samourai punk zombies and stuff from other resurectionnist crews to let you the opportunity to buy boxes

else, well I'm not a resurrectionnist player so...

Here's my suggestion for a support fig for you:

Grab Bete Noir. Seamus' crew is lacking in actual whacking power, and Betty provides plenty of that while sticking to the "femme fatale" theme of Seamus's crew. She's nice because she's one less figure you have to worry about dying, because if you save up a card for her to disappear with you can basically call her immortal. plus, she's a good 9 points, which sets you up for a great 30 point game (29 and one extra soulstone), which is the basic game size. That will work great if you have Vic and the Ronin together. In this game, points you "don't use" on figures help you out in game, so you don't have to worry too much about filling out your army exactly. (also advise your wife to possibly pick up Hamelin and replace one of her mercenaries with him, because he's just awesome.)

• 2 weeks later...

ok i have another request for info.

I have ordered minisature and cards and rule book; and awaiting their arrival. :)

So i am planing on doing a board up as I wait with terrain. How big of a palying area is normal for a game of Malifaux? I'm figuring on 4x4?