Building a Crew

Buster

Hi everyone. My girlfriend and I are brand spanking new to the game and while we have both more or less settled on a Crew, we do have a couple questions.

In the rule book under the Hire Crews section it says you can hire Minions with two of them having the Mercenary characteristic. It also say you can hire Minions from out side your faction. Does that mean if I play with a Guild Crew could I use Minions from either the Arcanist and Outcasts or just from the Outcasts?

I hope I've phrased that so it makes sense.

When hiring outside of your faction (assuming you're not Outcast), you can hire only Outcast models with the "Mercenary" attribute for +1 ss cost. Outcast crews can only hire Outcasts, but are not restricted to Mercs. You can play with any model within your own faction obviously, with the exception of some Totems that otherwise need to be attached to a specific Master and certain summoned models that again are Master dependent.

Generally, you could not hire Arcanist models for a Guild crew ... though Hamelin does present an exception in that he's a Merc who can be hired by anyone, and in turn has the ability to hire Ht1 models from other factions.

I don't *think* so, but I could be wrong. I'm thinking of Marcus as an example. He's an Arcanist, and his stats explicitly say that he can hire Beasts from any faction at no additional cost. So that tells me that unless it's actually said on the Master's stats, you can't hire from another faction other than Mercenaries/Outcasts.

Generally, you could not hire Arcanist models for a Guild crew ... though Hamelin does present an exception in that he's a Merc who can be hired by anyone, and in turn has the ability to hire Ht1 models from other factions.

There are a number of exceptions, Leveticus can't hire most of the other outcasts but can have any undead or construct, zoraida can hire any model with wp4 or less, etc. Most factions have at least one master or other model that can hire (or summon) out of faction in some way.

Hire crews (page 96) tells you what you can hire:

Own Faction

Up to 2 Mercenaries

Outcasts may hire outcasts including any number of mercenaries.

Edited by tenabrae

There are a number of exceptions, Leveticus can't hire most of the other outcasts but can have any undead or construct, zoraida can hire any model with wp4 or less, etc. Most factions have at least one master or other model that can hire (or summon) out of faction in some way.

Too true. Thanks tenabrae!

Ok, well now that hiring a Crew has been cleared up I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on picking one. My girlfriend has settled on Lady Justice and the Death Marshalls but I'm undecided. We're planning on joining a league during the summer that has some restrictions. Some of the restrictions are that we have to use all the contents of the starter box, we have 30ss to work with, and whatever models we can fit with those points are all we get for the league. No switching things out.

While I'm not to crazy about some of that I can work with it I suppose. What I've figured is that with most of the starters at that points level is that you'll have a starter and maybe one other model.

So far I've been leaning towards the Pandora starter with a Convict Gunslinger (just really like the model) or Nicodem with a swarm of zombies. I'd really like to try the Gremlins out but from what I've read they're not really good for a begining player.

So, what would you guys and gals suggest? I'm open to suggestions aside from the ones above since I haven't actually put any money into the game yet aside from the book.

When hiring outside of your faction (assuming you're not Outcast), you can hire only Outcast models with the "Mercenary" attribute for +1 ss cost. Outcast crews can only hire Outcasts, but are not restricted to Mercs. You can play with any model within your own faction obviously, with the exception of some Totems that otherwise need to be attached to a specific Master and certain summoned models that again are Master dependent.

Might want to correct that, Its you can hire models (not faction specific) that have the mercenary trait. These models will be a +1 soulstone unless the have alternate rules otherwise. (this includes hamelin Ht 1 include)

Might want to correct that, Its you can hire models (not faction specific) that have the mercenary trait. These models will be a +1 soulstone unless the have alternate rules otherwise. (this includes hamelin Ht 1 include)

I simply assumed Outcast models were the only ones with the mercenary trait. I could very well be wrong, I'm not 100% familiar with all the stat cards.

Are there non-Outcast models labeled as mercenary? If not, what exactly did I state incorrectly? I'm not being defensive, I actually want to know! The last thing I want is to misinform someone or make a mistake while building a crew.

Cheers.

While I'm not to crazy about some of that I can work with it I suppose. What I've figured is that with most of the starters at that points level is that you'll have a starter and maybe one other model.

So far I've been leaning towards the Pandora starter with a Convict Gunslinger (just really like the model) or Nicodem with a swarm of zombies. I'd really like to try the Gremlins out but from what I've read they're not really good for a begining player.

So, what would you guys and gals suggest? I'm open to suggestions aside from the ones above since I haven't actually put any money into the game yet aside from the book.

Everything in the Pandora box is useful so that is not a bad shout.

Pandora and the Gremlins are both fun to play but are tricky for the beginner.

Purely in terms of the tourney restrictions, have you considered Ramos? The box itself provides Ramos, a steamborg, and in theory 2 arachnid swarms. Turn 1 arachnid swarm into 3 seperate arachnids and you have a 28 point list straight out of the box.

Leaving two stones either to add to his cache, or I beleive it is also the cost of his Brass Arachnid totem...