Round two! Mimic question <3

Omadon

Right, quick question here about the nature of buffs. If a doppleganger copies Link, and then subseuqently uses it. Does losing the ability to cast link then remove it's link? Does the ability require that the rules text in question be on it's card, or does the buff itself become a seperate entity after it's been applied?

i would say purely in the logical physical sense, the doppleganger has to be transformed partly into a sorrow to use the sorrows link. when the doppleganger untransforms from a sorrow it should lose all abilities it had when it was a sorrow.

for example, if the sorrow transformed into a creature that had an ability (1) creature can fly 8" up into the sky until it decides to return to ground, the doppleganger would be assumed to be copying whatever wings or jetpack that creature had, then using it to fly. when the doppleganger transforms to something that doesnt have wings or a jetpack, it will surely just drop to the earth.

Well, thats an aesthetic assumption for a mechanical question. Thus inapplicable.

Also - if you consider that from a rules PoV, when you fly, you don't gain a buff "In Flight". Being in the air is a state of play, only available to things that can fly, as it were. Link generates a buff. A model thats slowed by something doesn't lose slow if the model that caused it to be slow dies, thus meaning that Slow is seperate from the rules text that generates it. Nor do I presume that the melee expert buff that Justice gives would fizzle if she left play. This leads me to believe that the effects of abilitys are seperate from their origin. /ponder

I'd say that the effects of Link persist until the ability says they stop, even if the Doppelganger no longer has the ability to Link to something else.

Of course I'm not a Rules Marshall, so I may be wrong.

EDIT: This could have some interesting uses if I'm correct. Look at Nino's "In My Sights" for example, or a Moleman's "Dug In".

Edited by dreadpiratelynx

Though I get why one would disagree with Iron Man's way of explaining (rules don't=fluff), I still do agree with him. A ruling of lingering actions can have great effect on other actions and abilities. Though I would have to spend time looking through the book to figure others out. Of course if they want to leave that as is I'll just shut my mouth and have my Pandora smile.

Also when it says "talents" under mimic does it mean abilities, actions and triggers?

N/M. Found my answer on pg. 23.:alcoholic

Edited by Murphy'sLawyer