Mortimer's becon!

Q'iq'el

Hello Everybody! I hope I've got you with the catchy title. There's no bacon, only fish.

I've already posted a short introduction in my first thread over here, together with some work-in-progress shots, but now I'd like to present my first team in full decay & gory - Nikodem's Lot for my wife:

Front:

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=363

Back:

picture.php?albumid=74&pictureid=364

I'm also agonizing over a colour scheme for Lilith and her kids. I'm thinking about orange-to-sand yellow skin, red-orange hairs and black with some red clothes for her and mostly sand yellow skin red loincloth for the kids. I'd add deep sky blue accents here and there (like the grip of the sword, inside of the cloak, Mature Nephilim's jewel etc) and possibly blue eyes...

I'm scared of the final effect with such bright colours though, so I'd love to hear some advice from more experienced painters.

And since our 1st team is ready, I'll be looking for more opponents. Anyone in Tokyo, Japan area? :D

Edited by Q'iq'el

Nice i like them, cant comment on lilith & kids but try one out. I am yet to see a bad paint job on them. I would try to dry brush a lighter colour on the base of each mimi, to break up the muddy look. I'm sure that would make a differance but its only my opinion. They do look good anyway.

Edited by pancake ss

Nice i like them, cant comment on lilith & kids but try one out. I am yet to see a bad paint job on them. I would try to dry brush a lighter colour on the base of each mimi, to break up the muddy look. I'm sure that would make a differance but its only my opinion. They do look good anyway.

I think that's my old digicam's fault. There is a drybrush of bleached bone which tones down the reds on the bases, but it doesn't show in this resolution much.

In fact the bases don't even look that muddy, because it's more of a red earth paint job. I guess I need to start knocking down reds a notch in my cam's pictures.

Thanks for the warm words!

I've got Lilith done. I wanted, originally, to go for sort of Egyptian or Pertian theme. But I've decided to reverse the idea and rather than make sand-yellow skin and pale colours, I went for dark skin and vivid colours (I'm afraid my digicam is not best at those). The scheme is somewhat inspired by Tarot de Marseille.

picture.php?albumid=77&pictureid=365

The cloak is stormy blue on the back. I didn't have time to take a decent picture though. I'll try to update it tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I like the overall look of you're crew but I think you should have used a more dissimilar green from your rotten flesh for the matching clothes. It put the image in my head that mortimer was flashing me and made me wonder what I was looking at in the case of the figure in the back corner with the jacket and hat.

It also gives me the image of Nicodem in a upscale boutique comparing cloth swatches to undead flesh.

I like the overall look of you're crew but I think you should have used a more dissimilar green from your rotten flesh for the matching clothes. It put the image in my head that mortimer was flashing me and made me wonder what I was looking at in the case of the figure in the back corner with the jacket and hat.

It also gives me the image of Nicodem in a upscale boutique comparing cloth swatches to undead flesh.

Your image is not that far from mine actually. :D Nicodem is described somewhere in the fluff as a "gentleman criminal", so I thought it'd be funny if he chose clothes matching complexion of his Zombies. So the green is intentional.

However my old camera (I'll keep blaming the tools! :P) does disservice to reds and greens - for some reason many tones are lost and they appear flat.

Sufficient to say the flesh is painted with Vallejo's Dark Green base/shade and Undead Flesh colors. These tend to be almost yellowish at highlighted areas. The clothes on the other hand are painted with Sick Green and are more of a lighter bottle-green color. I think one place where contrast shows well enough is the rear shot of the Zombie Samurai with the mohawk haircut.

Thanks for comments!

P.S. And Mortimer is wearing a pajama, because Nicodem dragged him out of the bed in the midst of night to raise some zombies. ;)

Edited by Q'iq'el

P.S. And Mortimer is wearing a pajama, because Nicodem dragged him out of the bed in the midst of night to raise some zombies. ;)

Wait, he was in bed in the middle of the night! What self respecting evil henchman/gravedigger is in bed in the middle of the night?

More likely it's the middle of the day because some foolish lawman(well woman actually) demanded a dual at high noon.

If the color similarity is intentional and meant to be kinda tounge in cheek funny I whole heartedly approve.

Perhaps that's just an outlook on life difference, but I feel every evil henchman does his best to procrastinate and there's no better way than to sleep at night and pretending to be surprised when the boss wakes you up.

There are several mechanisms at work here. For one, every evil henchman is blessed by that lesser kind of malice which gets satisfied with meaningless acts of defiance and small sabotage. This is why governments' administration attracts evil people. :P

Secondly every evil henchman worth his salt understands no sinister plan can every succeed without a decent dose of anger, shouting, pouting and swearing and there's no better way to provide it than to oversleep the grand finale and set the master behind the schedule.

Last but not least, Mortimer likes his little cup and does appreciate a good rest, regardless of what the evil tongues may spread about him.

Edited by Q'iq'el