Pinning spiders.

Runewolf

A friend told me that steampunk aracnid swarms were impossible to pin, so i took that as a challenge and went of to work on a Ramos box. He was partialy right since the mini cant be drilled without causing some damage, but instead of drilling the mini i decided to drill the base. When you are cutting the spider from its metal "sprue" dont just cut the whole metal thing out, cut it in a way that you'll have an extended leg tip. The extra metal on the tip of the leg works as a pin. Glue the legs to the body, put it on the part of the base where you want it, drill holes where the legs would land and presto, you got a sturdy, almost unbreakable spider.

There are drill bits small enough to bore out the holes the legs slot into in Arachnid's body. A couple (out of about 6 swarms) didn't have holes on their right-hand-side and drilling them out worked like a dream.

A mate used slight drill holes where the tips of the Steamborg's feet contact, makes for a very strongly held mini.

Mind you, my Borgie has just been glued with Zap A Gap a the leg joints after slashing up the contact area with a hobby knife for texture.

He's not even attached to the base and he's doing fine.

I tried to weld it but heating the mini to the point were the weldding material will melt makes the other joints to frail. I have a drill bit set but (as strange as it may sound) the legs seam to expand as the drill went deeper. Had no problem with the borg or Ramos. One can also use an epoxy 2 part mix that you can find in automobile stores that is used for motors, the mini may brake from any other part but the joint will stay. Scratching the joint works for larger minis but this little spiders are something else.

J.B. Weld? I'd have never even thought about using that on a mini.

Fixed the hole in my canoe pretty well though.

I've seen entire armies assembled with the stuff. I suppose you could get ok results with enough time and effort, but the examples I've seen obviously did not involve such care.

Also, its a sad day when you get a used mini and a simple clean up turns into "oh god they used JB Weld".

When you are cutting the spider from its metal "sprue" dont just cut the whole metal thing out, cut it in a way that you'll have an extended leg tip. The extra metal on the tip of the leg works as a pin. Glue the legs to the body, put it on the part of the base where you want it, drill holes where the legs would land and presto, you got a sturdy, almost unbreakable spider.

Thanks for this, got mine to assemble soon.