A Day of Demos - Dec. 5, '09

mrborges

Toronto local gaming group TABS (www.tabsonline.net) has a quarterly gaming even called TABSCon. On December 5th we had the last one of the year, and I was able to demo Malifaux quite a bit. 5 games over the course of 7 hours, split into two 'shifts.' It was fun, and I got a couple of people interested in joining the ranks of Malifaux players.

I'll offer highlights from some of the games, and then post some pictures.

Game 1: Me against a kid, probably 9 years old or so. He picked it up quite quickly. In fact, he did so well playing Seamus, I now understand the beauty of using Undead Psychosis. Truly, he gave me some ideas on how to play the Redchapel Gang a bit better. He came back to the table a few times more throughout the day, impressed with the game.

Game 2: I showed a couple of friends how to play. I’m pretty sure one will be buying in shortly. Being minis gamers already, it was an easy teach. The Decembrists moved up slowly, got some early hits in, took some losses, but in the end Rasputina’s mad spell-casting skills took Seamus out, easily.

Game 4: Where some non-minis gamers learned the importance of using cover. I guess looking for a quick hop into combat, they both moved their figures straight up the middle. On Turn 2, Seamus blew Rasputina’s face off with his flintlock. I forget what other source of damage crippled her, but Seamus put 7 points of Severe damage right into Rasputina. No cover? No face!

013.jpg

001.jpg

004.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

I knew the terrain would be popular. It was VERY popular at the event, with many passers-by ogling and asking questions, whether they cared for minis or not.

The buildings are by Imex, I believe in their Conflix line. They are pre-painted, and I think run from mid-$10s to $30, depending on CDN or USD pricing. These are my friend's, and he got them for a steal. I would love to pick up a few, as yes...they are perfect.

The trees are indeed Heroscape. I didn't have my 'realistic' pine trees ready at the time, so I used two sets worth of the 'Forgotten something' set. In pictures and in person, they are great.

The mat is Zuzzy, unatered out of the package.

The Altar of Evil, barrels and crates are by Pegasus.