best way to throw a tournament?

cerealkiller195

The way it was done at Gencon was that there were three rounds, each round, everyone played the same strategy and was able to pick 1 to 2 schemes, with at the end of each round, the victory points were tallied and then moved on to the next round. The nice part to this was it wasa no elimination tournament with everyone playing every round with the goal of trying to get maximum victory points. at the end of the event, all the VPs were totaled and the top three VP totals were awarded prizes.

That was all flipped for normally, the only change was strategies were predetermined.

Actually at the Gencon tourney I think they didn't use any special terrain effects.

I think for your own tourney you best bet is to use a predetermined random special terrain or event(like the Strategy). I wouldn't be tied down to whats in the book either, feel free to come up with a custom one to fit the mood or theme of the tourney.

here are a few things i'm thinking about let me know if you think it's fair/possible:

-Since we usually play on 4x4 tables we usually extend deployment to 12"

-Make themed tables so players don't need to roll for Encounter Location

-Have special terrain/tokens/etc for anything a player may roll up for special events/special terrain.

-25SS four games 1 hour 15-30mins rounds

i'm also thinking prize support, if a store doesn't carry wyrd what should i give out as prizes? I have about a month or two before i put anything in the works. Just looking to see the consensus.

@ Wombatcowboy.. its a family store.. so the nipples require tassels on them to make it kosher.

You could buy some blisters before hand and have a selection where 1st player gets 1st pick then 2nd gets 2nd and so on. This is one way we play when the game doesn't have much or any store support. I would suggest getting blisters of figs that are not unique so they could be more likely to be played by there faction, ie Hoarcats, Convict Gunslinger, Witchlings, etc. The idea of one strategy and one special events (terrain) should be nice as to garuntee variety, so no one ends up playing thier weakest match up each time.

Good Luck!

ah good idea i totally forgot. I think getting decks and mercenaries might be the way to go. Seeing as everyone can use a deck (or an additional deck if the first gets worn out) and mercs can go into every faction. If i want to go a step further the base inserts would also be a nice addition to any crew.

So far it seems like we have 8-10 budding players, how often were judges needed? what were some major rules concerns during the Gen Con tournament?

For the tournament Weird Sketch ran last weekend, and the one I'm running this weekend, we're using predetermined strategies for each round, with a special occurrence linked to each. Schemes are chosen as usual. The pairings are random each round, and the winners are determined by overall VP totals.

This has been the easiest way to work things so far, but there has been some talk of working out some sort of official rules down the line.

As long as you can make sure every player feels that they were treated equally, you'll be successful with any format.

Check out the new issue of Wyrd Chronicles for WS's strategies. The one I'm using for the third round is a bit different. It's a little closer to Claim Jump, but there is an extra twist to keep things fresh and exciting.