National Gaming @ Your Library Day...

Hola,

I just want everyone to know that National Gaming @ Your Library Day is November 14th this year. So... if you are interested in sharing your great table top hobby, i recommend contacting your local library and seeing if you can book their meeting room and have them create a program around a type of gaming.

At the library I work at, I have been given the go ahead to demonstrate table top games, set up video gaming programs, provide board & card games for customers to play throughout the day, and just generally showcase how great being a geek can be.

Heck, I bet if you asked nicely, some libraries might even be willing to let you host a tournament in their meeting room if you book it ahead of time. However it goes, just try to get into a library on the 14th of November to show off some kind of great gaming.

Libraries are one of those things where it depends where you live. The libraries here in Portland are busy as hell all the time. It's great to see tax dollars actually taken advantage of in a positive way.

Good luck with the demo Jolli! hope to see some pics and of course lots of Wyrd minis in play :D

I'll try to snag some pics (have to be careful of what I would post though, since I can't post pictures of minors at library events without parental permission).

Last year my branch had over 80 tweens (ages 7-11) and teens come to our events (that I put together at the last minute without much advertising). So it went insanely well considering our highly advertised mega events normally only drawn in about 50 kids and teens.

Most of them do come for the video games, but it's easy to get them to try the table top stuff once they are here. I really do recommend contacting your local library and seeing if they'd let you demo stuff, or set up an event. I know that not all libraries do the kind of stuff we do here at mine, but letting them know that you are interested in them participating in this national event could help stoke them some.

And yes, it also does depend on which library you are talking about as to if this would work or not. I know here, we have several dozen teens that basically live here, so getting their interests and participation is very simple. Actually, the part that kind of saddens me is when I put on a teen event, and someone who just turned 19 comes in and I have to turn them away (our official cut off to be considered a 'teen' is 18). I actually have two kids that are about to turn 19, and they keep trying to get me to change the rule.. which I can't since it's a system wide thing. However, I'm now working on trying to get better adult programs going. :-D

Edited by Jolli_Da_awesome

This sounds great!

My wife runs a local library here. I'll have to get her to talk to some of her contemporaries (Her library is too small to do this sort of thing unfortunately, but she may run some board games) who are in larger libraries to get something going.

Very cool!

Joli, is there a website I can point them all to?

I'm a librarian as well, and I just found out we were going to hold this in our system.

http://yalsa.ala.org/blog/?s=national+gaming+day. YALSA is the Young Adult department of the American Library Assocoiation. This link has some more informationon National Gaming Day and getting it started.

http://www.ilovelibraries.org/gaming/ Here's one of the links from that page with more info on what it is and how it's handled. A video included.

Hope as many libraries as possible can spread the love of games!

Enjoy.