Tuesday Tussles at RIW Hobbies, Livonia, MI

nerdelemental

I should be in Rochester hills area the week after xmas.

Will ya'll be playing on the 28th? I'd love to come down and get 2-3 games in while I'm in town.

Yes, we absolutely will be! I expect a longer game night that night, too, as many of us have careers that encourage time off during that week (many teachers and automotive workers). Post here closer to the time, jdomin2, as a reminder to us that you're coming out and we'll try to ensure you get a decent game (or two) in.

Out of curiosity, from where do you typically hail and what crews do you run?

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully Mav and I will be able to play this Tuesday and he'll be running Ham, I hear.

I had a similar problem facing Hamelin during his design process, but found that since you can walk over the rats you could more easily deal with Ham. Especially with solid damage dealers like Justice or Perdita (or Lilith, for me).

I'll see if I agree with you now or not.

So Bowen, how's your pooper feel about now? ;)

:)

Well, I lost. However, turn 1 was CLEARLY mine with me fully killing one Rat Catcher and nearly immobilizing another. Turn two swung to Mav, but I Hexed away his "make more rats" thing, forcing him to sac out 3 of his rats to get one back. Then he took out my big Nephilim by making it insignificant and then made it where it could only attack Hamelin, which cannot be targeted by Insignificant and he managed to kill my 3 Silurid, too. On our last turn, he was well underway to rebuilding what I had stripped him of, but Zoraida turned into a bird and flew 19" to engage a Hamelin sitting by itself. He swung and got STUPID luck with the cards, flipping an 11 and 13 on damage which was weak flipped....did 9 to kill her. Under weak, I expected 3 damage from the one attack he got through, or even 2 Wd to himself. I'd have walloped him good on my next activation.

Ultimately, I agree that he's strong. About on par with what you were running, Dox. I don't see broken. It felt more or less like a normal game. I do think he has one or two abilities that make him stronger than normal, but I think that with some more time to face him I'll see what needs to go sooner. Actually, if I had dropped my Mature Neph in the middle of the rat swarm the same turn Zoraida was pillaging and plundering his two catchers I think the couple of morale duels would have gone my way better.

With Perdita. Jeesh. I cannot see how she wouldn't be one of the best chances of taking him out. Stubborn, Shrug Off, Papa Loco's blasts, Nino and Perdita shooting key pieces out....Seems like the dream matchup to me. I'll run that against Mav's Hamelin within the next month. He'll be better, too, but after that first game against him I'm more convinced that there's several tricks that can get thwarted. Perdita. I just cannot see how she'll roll over to the list I faced tonight.

I felt that I did well with a master I've not fielded before. And I can see some tedium, but it didn't really strike me as that terrible. I guess where rats just shuffle around and then die to make more that shuffle around....but on my activation I just ignored them and did what I wanted and walked over them...

Yes, we absolutely will be! I expect a longer game night that night, too, as many of us have careers that encourage time off during that week (many teachers and automotive workers). Post here closer to the time, jdomin2, as a reminder to us that you're coming out and we'll try to ensure you get a decent game (or two) in.

Out of curiosity, from where do you typically hail and what crews do you run?

I just moved away from the baton rouge area (little wars) about 6 months ago.

My brother in law is in the detroit area through may, so we are spending some time up there.

I prefer to run Ramos and raspy but have marcus and mcmourning and im assembling kirai currently.

I'll give ya'll a heads up closer to when ill be there.

I just moved away from the baton rouge area (little wars) about 6 months ago.

My brother in law is in the detroit area through may, so we are spending some time up there.

I prefer to run Ramos and raspy but have marcus and mcmourning and im assembling kirai currently.

I'll give ya'll a heads up closer to when ill be there.

We'll look forward to seeing you! Play any of those, crews, and don't be shy about proxying on our Tuesday nights. We do it all the time (too anxious about the fun new toys to wait...).

:)

Well, I lost.

Exactly. :P

With Perdita. Jeesh. I cannot see how she wouldn't be one of the best chances of taking him out.

I felt that I did well with a master I've not fielded before.

Oh sure, rub it in why don't ya! :P

In fairness I'm still learning with Perdi (in fact, Mav gave me a few pointers I had no clue about. Apparently my crap don't work like I thought it did...)

I look forward to possibly getting some games Dec21st.

~ Dox: Hope you read my tone correctly. I wasn't making fun of you at all. Just speculating. :) I think I simply knew more about what to expect from Mav's Hamelin list than you could have. I know Mav's Mali playstyle much better from tons of PT games and he and I have had some rather extensive discussions on Hamelin from his inception to where he is. I just have a leg up on it. He still beat me. It was frustrating, but I liken it much more to any game, any NEW mechanic - it seems over the top until you figure out how to compensate. Kreoss knockdown when you have no idea it's coming? MKI Sorscha? Haley turtle? New Molik Karn? Darius jack rebuilding? Anything can seem ridiculous and broken when you face it the first time, and often the fifth. Back at my WM beginning, Ken and Preston both ran that damned Haley with a full line of trenchers and riflemen behind them. I swore it couldn't be countered. Until they ran it every week. Finally, it just clicked. Still strong, but my Testament broke it every week, then Harbinger, then Kreoss, then my Cryx could, too. Experience changes the equation a lot, I think.

I do wonder how well my Pandora or Lilith could have handled his list. The single most frustrating thing I faced might be his ability to target my big Neph, say it's insignificant, then say it can only target his Hamelin - which cannot be targeted by Insignificant. Took it out of the game. But there were two different Wp or Df resists involved, so it's hard to say "broken". Just damn near.

~Mick: so you're on my dance card for sure the 28th! What would you like to face? Anything you want! But I'd encourage you to choose something I know so I'm not struggling on my side of the board and can actually give you some decent advice. I still don't care, though. Here's what I can run more comfortably: Pandora, Lilith, Dreamer, Zoraida, Marcus, Rasputina, Perdita, Lady J, Sonnia, Viktorias. If you're running Ophelia, then I'd probably not run any of my Guild as they play too similarly, but the quasi-mirror of Perdita v. Ophelia could be interesting. I think the odds favor Perdita, though. So, something to help you learn the nuances of the game, something you've not seen before, something balanced against whatever crew you're running, something weak to balance our experience, something I don't know, too (to balance), whatever you want!

If you're running Ophelia, then I'd probably not run any of my Guild as they play too similarly, but the quasi-mirror of Perdita v. Ophelia could be interesting. I think the odds favor Perdita, though. So, something to help you learn the nuances of the game, something you've not seen before, something balanced against whatever crew you're running, something weak to balance our experience, something I don't know, too (to balance), whatever you want!

Mick an I threw down Perdi v. Ophelia yesterday after my event. I got SCHOOLED!

In fact, I only got to activate my models once!!!! Not even joking....

Alot of it was the cards. The key was he managed to drop Papa while Papa was too close to Perdi and Santiago. Then he got 1st go turn 2 and did the family bit, put Piere on me and got a red joker + heavy damage on a burning stick (not sure we did blasts right though), then blew him up. This wiped out Perdi, Santiago and Francisco, and dropped Nino to 2 life (apparently he got the spacing just right!) From there it was just clean up....pathetically sad really, and my hand was 2 9s and all 2-3s the rest.....

So either Stokes can handle Perdi just fine, or maybe someone who knows how to play the game should use her.... ;)

Stupid Luck of the draw. THe only real strategy I had was to drop Papa and slingshot Pere at ya in return. In my first few games I ran Pere out first and he went BOOM! But didn't do anything.. Unlike Papa who didn't get far enough away. The access to fast with the gremlins when I needed it is nice.

You'll get me next time.

I'll be up at RIW around 6 if anybody wants to get a game in.

!!!

Lies! Are you back to quasi-regular Tuesdays or is this a unique moment for us to have you once again amongst us?

I'm scheduled to deliver a beating upon poor Ben, otherwise I'd love to take you on. C'est Leveticus.

I'm running the last of my Neverborn wave. Zoraida again. December and January are Guild months for me, starting with Perdita next week! Woot!

!!!

Lies! Are you back to quasi-regular Tuesdays or is this a unique moment for us to have you once again amongst us?

I'm scheduled to deliver a beating upon poor Ben, otherwise I'd love to take you on. C'est Leveticus.

I'm running the last of my Neverborn wave. Zoraida again. December and January are Guild months for me, starting with Perdita next week! Woot!

Yeah back semi-regular, at least until the holidays swallow up my free time...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, bowsher moved back to the land of steers and qu...texas. my attempts at gaming locally are all but hopeless, I got a fat promotion and work a steady 9 to 5 with weekends off, about to buy a house, etc etc...BUT I'M GOING NUCKIN FUTS not having played more than a demo for any minis game in about 3 months! Expect my return and your demise soon bowen. Very soon...

Our group has gotten pretty interesting and there's some stability. Let me break it down a bit for fun:

Me: everything. I'm rotating my factions in two month cycles now. I just finished Neverborn and will be playing Guild December and Jan, shifting to either Outcast or Arcanist Feb-Mar.

Glenn: Ramos, Hamelin, dabbles in Rasputina

Josh: Res

Ben: still figuring his own direction, leaning to Gremlins but has good Ramos background.

Aaron: Guild

Sheri: Arcanists

Shortmann: Res - Nicodem and now McM

Steiner: has a bit of everything but will typically run Leve, Showgirls, and then some Res. Ramos, too, but I don't see it much.

Zach: Arcanist

We have other players that come in and out without predictable regularity. For example, big Zack keeps popping in and threatening to make his presence more common and he loves all things Gremlin.

Looking over the list, Neverborn would be the least represented right in RIW when I'm not running them. Arcanist the most.

Jake, if you're just buying based on that list, I'd simply avoid most of Arcanist. However, there's nothing that stands out as over-saturated really. If you got into Guild there wouldn't be some great glut of it. Nor Gremlin, whatever.

Edited by nerdelemental

Well, I ran into an Abarrition Prime at 21st Century in Lansing half off, so I am going to run Levi for a bit (With him as my sweet Deso. Engine). From there, we will see. I like Neverborn, but feel incomplete going there without my Nytemare LCB (Sold it for bills on ebay :() Gremlins...been there too often, Seamus seems appealing again but Molly aside, book 2's Res don't do much for me.

Arcs, only like 'tina, Guild, like most all of it but the new veering to constructs has me kinda meh...I love outcasts but all the nonsense of "Only works with etc" makes it limited in it's own.

Hmm...