Boris and Dwarf Hero

Peterdita

Here are a couple minis I've just finished. I wanted to really practice human skin and true metalics. I need some improvement as you'll see ;)

Great minis to get you excited for the TT/FF contest coming up! I missed some dates by a little bit so I can't enter these here but I've got some others ready so no worries.

I started with Boris to use as my barbarian in a D&D game I play twice a month. I think he's 7 pieces and was a real pain to prep for a lazy guy like me. The surface of the metal was rather coarse in spots and it required me to get some practice skulpting muscles together and reshaping a few. But the results are you get a great action pose like this and experience do that kinda thing.

BORIS.jpg

So after i learned some leassons there. I painted this AWESOME sculpt from Avatars of War for the WAMP contest. I had a lot of fun with this one, fit together very well, little bit of green stuff to get the mohawk right, but very nice mini. 4 pieces. I havent painted a dwarf since I was real little so I had a great time with him.

AOW_WAMP.jpg

Please feel free to comment and suggest. I'd appreciate some feedback, and you wont hurt my feelings.

Thanks,

Pete

(oh yeah and I found out just exactly how far my little camera could go)

VERY IMPRESSIVE WORK, Amigo! You're one of those Guys that started out as a fine painter AND just keep getting better. There's not much to critique: EXCELLENT paint jobs & GREAT looking bases on both. I'm rather fond of Dwarves SO the Slayer has a slight edge for favorite. WELL DONE! :fing02:

BTW sorry I missed you New Years message. I left you a message in your Profile Box Thingy, which you can ignore/miss in turn. :stupido:

Really like both of them, especially the skin tones. I like Boris the most, but that is mostly because I love Heresy's sculpts so much. I really dig those superangry-overmuscular-barbarians-of-doom.

Please share your recipe for the colors you've used on Boris :)

Thanks folks.

@ Malebolgia, I'm playing around with a few things on flesh. I'm trying to figure if I like to paint the skin a flesh color and then use darker washes in the recesses, or paint the flesh dark and then paint the muscles lighter as I go up. I did Boris in the latter method, and the dwarf in the first method.

Boris:

Base coat of GWF Catha___ Brown mixed with GWF Tallaran Flesh. Then I just kept adding Tallaran flesh and painting the high points. Once it got the colors I liked, I glazed it all with GWW Ogryn flesh, and then straight from the pot washed the recesses with GWW Dev mud.

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts about one technique over the other I would love to hear. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Ahh--don't know how I missed these first go 'round. Great stuff! I like the dwarf a lot. The tattoos are a great touch. Thanks for the recipes--I always like to hear what other folks are using. Very nice gemwork as well. Critiques...let's see. On the dwarf, I think the major thing for me would be to take the highlights up a bit more, especially on the mohawk. Boris's steel metallics look very good--I think the shading on the sword is spot on. The gold shading looks a little splotchy in spots, particularly on the right wrist. The necklace also looks a bit flat compared to the rest of the model.

I hope that helps!