Newbie help please :)

moonrise

i'm a little new to the painting aspect of the hobby, and i was wondering if i could get some beginner friendly advice :)? i plan on painting a different theme onto my Menoth army. currently here's what i had in mind:

armor: very, very, very dark brown (50:50 umbral umber, thamar black mix)

metallic trims: tamiya enamel gold leaf (honestly, i like this ^_^)

now... here's what i plan on asking the veterans of the Wyrd forums:

cloth and tapestries: what colors should i slap on to compliment the armor?

and

how do i paint blue flames along with its related OSL? i'm kinda sick with the traditional fire color, and so i wanted a new one hehe.

as of now i only carry p3 paints and a select few tamiya enamels, plus tamiya acrylic's clear red and smoke. it'd really help if you guys give mixes/names using the p3 range hehe.

thanks, and more power to you all!

My first thought, along the lines that Demonherald was stating with the pale bone coloring, would be to start with P3 Hammerfall Khaki, progress your highlights through P3 Rucksack Tan and P3 Menoth White Base and hightlight with P3 Menoth White Highlight.

I think that you could work your OSL with the colors that you mentioned.

Good luck. I hope that the suggestions help and post some progress pics as you go.

ah... will definitely take that in to consideration!

as for painting OSL... how DO i paint it without making the area too... erm... "blue"? beginner friendly step by step would be greatly appreciated :)

anyhow, thanks!

Without a huge tutorial, the best advice I can give regarding painting OSL is to mix the underlying color to your blue (or other light source color).

For example, painting brown armor with a blue light source, add some brown to your blue light. Remember that light isn't 100% opaque on a model and that what's being lit should still show through.

My first thought, along the lines that Demonherald was stating with the pale bone coloring, would be to start with P3 Hammerfall Khaki, progress your highlights through P3 Rucksack Tan and P3 Menoth White Base and hightlight with P3 Menoth White Highlight.

yeah that should do it ... And can I state at this point that Hammerfall Khaki is possibly my umber 1 favourite colour.. Its so damn useful for providing nice soft highlights....

The colours you mention for the OSL should work .. Just remember that it is lit your depicting the brightest point is the source.

so for the OSL then, i would go for glazing, feathering, and washing, and at the same time mix a little of the underlying color to ensure coherency of colors, right?

that would be unless the intensity of the OSL is greater, wherein maybe it could go for a stronger shade? i dunno really. i just read it on the brushthralls guide hehe.

anyhow thanks to everyone contributing to this thread. i really appreciate this thread :)

basically that's about rigt.. when doing all your normalpainting bear in mind where the light source is gonna be and highligt a shade or two lighter at these points . also introuce a little of the lightest blue into the highlight colours...

then paint the osl pat start by painting the source white then thinly glaze in the darker colours keeping a white source spot...

nly a little colour needs to be added on the area around the source.. one of the ays that osl is really spoilt is by people using too much colour....

have a look in the gallery section under Iron painter sason 4... there was an osltheme in there and some great looking pieces for inspiration and reference for ya.

• 2 weeks later...

hello me again :) i know i'm being a nuisance with all the questions hehe.

anyhow, i was just wondering, since i'm going to speed paint my force to a simple tabletop standard, i was just wondering if it's passable to simply neatly drybrush the OSL :)? coz i really don't have the time to glaze 40+ minis hehehe.

if it is plausible, and tactics to achieve a desirable look? newb-friendly explanation, please :D

thanks again!