Jolie WIP

Jabberwocky

Hello again! I'm looking for a very critical eye on my latest piece; it is going to be headed for the Reaper contest (and much more importantly) is going to be a gift for my wife--she is graduating in May with her Masters degree. I am quite pleased with this and think it may be one of my best to date, but I am very interested in seeing where I can improve. The NMM gold on the collar needs some more contrast, I just am not sure where to put it. The skintones are modeled after my wife's and this was my second go at NMM gold. First try at marble as well. I have a couple of weeks yet to work on her. Currently I have a bit more basework to do as well as any touch up or alterations suggested here.

Thanks in advance,

Sean

JolieWIP5.jpg

Edited by Jabberwocky

Looking pretty good so far; I like the colors you're going with on her and the base looks really cool. The hair looks good, but it might need some shading in the back where it's bunched up to help give it a bit of separation (does that make sense?).

Overall, it's some great work.

The skintones do look good. The leathers could use a deeper shadow as could her hair. The brown ties across her chest need sharper shadows to clean em up, give em a bit more definition. For the golds I dont know what you're using for the shadow color but something with a richer color would make them shine better. RMS Muddy brown or GW dark skin. Something with a bit of a red tone to reflect the reds in her dress. As for where to put them that ends up being the hard part. I'd do some heavily on the collar piece at the shoulder where she's bending her arm. Then you have to take what is essentially a straight up and down piece in the back collar and add curve to it. Darken down from the corner tip to about the middle of it and then go back and pick out the upper edges with your yellow. Do the same on the sleeve edges where they curve in, and then on the bottom trim where the fold curve in.

Hope that helps.

A very nice gift and very well painted. I'm not much of a painter but my only criticism ios the base. To my eyes yje pale veins in the marble look too wide in compasionto the figure especially at the front and side. At the back the marble effect looks much more realistic.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while, but I have just about finished Jolie. Thanks everyone for your input--I really appreciate it. I tried to strengthen the highlights a bit and change the base to reddish marble instead of the green. Any last minute suggestions? I have a few days before the deadline. :)

JolieComp1.jpg

Edited by Jabberwocky

I'd recommend doing a bit of shading with either a yellowish or a purplish brown on your paper. Particularity the underneath curves on the scroll where your darklineing looks a little harsh and the sides of the pages of the book.