Need help with a diorama

Kayvaan

Hi there! Recently I had a little scene in my mind, which was inspired by some Wyrd minis and some old b/w horror movies like Dracula, Frankenstein, etc. and now I wanted to build it.

I imagine a little old house in a cold rainy autmn night, somewhere near a graveyard. The lovely maid has been abducted by the evil scientist who wants to do some very evil experiments with her and now the young and bold hero is going to that house in order to rescue the maid so that she falls in love with him and they can live happily ever after...

But as I like the bad guys in those movies more than the good guys and because it fits the style of Wyrd much better, the whole rescue thingy isn't going so well at all.

So when the hero arrives at the house and peeps through a window he sees the mad scientist (Douglas McMourning) and his assistant (Sebastian) standing in front of the tied maid, beginning with the preparations for their experiments but before he can make a plan how to rescue her (*cough* run in there and demand that they set her free) the other assistant (Mortimer) sneaks up on him with his spade...

So far so good, I've got the concept, I've got putty, I will have McMourning, Sebastian and Mortimer soon and I'm motivated, but I've also got a big problem: I don't have any idea where I could get the maid and the hero from. The maid should just stand still and wear a long nightdress. (Of course it would be perfect if she rose her arms a bit, but that would be my least problem) The hero should look just like a usual cliché hero, leaning a bit forward. So if you know some minis I could use here or even better an onlineshop where I can get them (I'm living in Germany, but everything in Europe is fine) I'd be very glad if you could tell me, as I really want to build this and as I'm not good enough to sculpt them by myself.

Many thanks!!

you could possibly use Wyrd Minis........how are you with Greenstuff?? maybe the bottom half of one of the rotten belles to give the flowy dress.Top half one of the other fine ladies and a little GS filling.

..I think they're in a pack of 3 but the other 2 could be in the scene as results of the mad duos experiments???

hero wise Sammael the witch hunter would make a great story character to be there at the scene of strange things afoot in a graveyard type setting.....

just a thought seeing as your going with Wyrd minis for the others in the scene will think on it a bit more for ya... sounds like an interesting scene...

@gi6ers thanks, but I think she'd look a bit like a halfling ^^'

@Frustrated Father yeah, I hope I can create the same feeling when I build the scene ^^

@demonherald hmm, nice idea, the dress of the belle in the middle is what I'm looking for, I just need to find another head... (Any ideas? ^^)

I was also thinking about Pandora, as her pose is quite nice and because I think that sculpting a new dress is easier than sculpting a new face. (By the way, I'm not sure about her face either, is she yelling or screaming?)

Sammael is also a good idea, although I think he looks a bit to much like he really could achieve what he wants to do... On the other hand, getting a shovle in the neck hurts, wether you're a witchhunter or not ^^ ...and he'd obviously fit the style.

How am I with Greenstuff... Not too good I think, usually I just use it to fill gaps or make smaller conversions like adding some hair or changing an arm.

thanks for your help :)

hmmm Pandora would be a good choice as well. she does have that damsel in distress look to her features could easily be made to look tied up yelling for help I think a lot of her expression is tied into how she is painted...make her blonde and fair skinned for example and she looks more like she needs rescuing....A few bits added for the dress and that could be a winner.... bother her a misaki have the mouth open face which suggests shouting out or crying for help...which would fit well.... I know what you mean on Sammael but as you say a surprise attack from a shovel as well as the nasties he's had to deal with to get there and not to mention what he may face if he's too late kind of puts his look into perspective..........

I think I'll stick to Pandora. Getting Misaki into a pose that fits would exceed my skills and Pandora's ragged clothes underline that "I'm held captive" feeling quite well anyway, so I'm putting her with her back against a wall and tie her up a bit... Those belts around her legs could come in handy there... ^^

And the box... dunno, perhaps I'll put it on a table and glue one of those steamspiders on it, that accidentally released some demonic jack in the box from an older experiment... ^^

Alright then, I'll purchase them as soon as possible and get started... And I'll also try to remember taking some photos to show you :)

yeah Wips will be great and I'm just about always on here ready to help...

Maybe the box could be used with the duo trying to exose her to it and something within twists and mutates her .. maybe try having her tied to a mechanism that lowers her forward towards it... just thoughts but look forward to seeing how this develops....

good luck....

Nice scene, very theatrical. Ral Partha had a range of Raven Loft minis [horror] & maidens in distress was in voque. I'll check my treasure trove, I I still have a couple of them you are welcome to them. I pot the results of my search.

Ciao,

DeafNala

@demonherald yet another good idea ^^ when I've got all the minis I need I'll try some poses and see what I like most and then I'll post some pics... And if I can't decide I'll just post some pics ^^

and thanks for your motivation :)

@DeafNala I think I found everything I want but I'd really like to see those minis... sounds interesting! Thanks :)

@Frustrated Father I wasn't able to find a picture of her, do you happen to have one or two?

Not sure if you can get ahold of it, but that limited edition Freebooter Angel would work out pretty good without her wings. She's wearing a form fitting gown, has her arms intertwined overhead and it would be possible to sculpt chains and manacles attached to the wall with her in them I would think.

2 problems with that.

1) she's really hard to find (FB only made 500 of her)

2) She's a 1 piece cast, so the wings would have to be removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Kayvaan,

I finally found the mini I was looking for. Iron Wind in the RalParta Classic: Heroes & Horrors section:

01-164 Elf Anti-Hero with Slave (2) $7.25

I have the babe [in chains, torn dress, depressed expression], if you can think of a way for me to mail her to you you can have her, or you could order/check her oot at www.ironwindmetals.com .

http://www.ironwindmetals.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath+5_68products_id1244

I'm not sure if the link will work; I'm I.T. retarded.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your offer, but as I thought, she'd be too small and in the meantime I found what I was looking for. (he, and the last minis (which I ordered first) arrive this week... at least that's what this mail order told me, after letting me wait for over 3 months... ARG!!) Anyway, Pandora, Mortimer and Samael are here on my desk and when Sebastian and McMoruning arrive, I'm finally able to decide what I'll do with Pandora and the whole diorama... *sigh* finally...

I just hope that McMourning and Sebastian are the same size as Pandora and Samael... As Mortimer is way to small and looks a bit out of place when standing behind Samael...

Hey Kayvaan,

I'm happy to hear you got all the pieces together. Your litttle project is really quite exciting. I hope you post the WIP & completed piece; I, for one, would love to see it.

Looking for the chick-in-chains mini got my sick old brain whirring off on a few dozen thing to do. So thank you for a push in the right direction.