My minis from Crisis (Antwerpen)

Bren

Hi all,

I'd like to show you my latest minis. To my surprise they all won Gold on Crisis and the Infinity Daktari was Best of Show. I hope you can give me some constructive comments, since I'm really trying to improve!

Thanks!

Brenda

(and I'm going to try to post more here, but I have to get my hands on a faster internet connection I guess... somehow this forum is very slow)

Daktari (Infinity):

img472ceeb3230e5.jpg

Bad Fairy (Freebooter):

img472cedf83a69a.jpg

Yovanka (Dark Age):

img472ced77565d3.jpg

And if you'd like to vote for them on CMON:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/173340

http://www.coolminiornot.com/173339

http://www.coolminiornot.com/173337

Thanks!

These are great miniatures, congrats on the gold wins! I'm taking you at your word on wanting feedback on weak areas and will try and find a few when looking at these.

Daktari - love the face, and those eyes are spectacular! The tail striping is very natural looking, and overall I think the highlighting and shading is effective and suits the cartoony sculpt. The hair could have some pure white hotspot areas of reflection to fit in with that, and the white stockings and sleeves don't seem as polished and finished as the rest.

Bad Fairy - Lovely work overall, the wings are particularly striking to me. Some of the shading in the wrinkles of the one glove looks a little stark to me.

Yovanka - The blue/gold colour scheme works really nicely. The freehand is terrific - not only in execution, but in working with the piece and its setting. The bright yellow head scarf seems maybe a little too yellow or saturated, it doesn't seem to fit in as well with the tones on the rest of the piece. The sand hill/stairs part of the base strikes me as a little off, not clear on if it's meant to look like a natural formation, which is doesn't really, or some kind of construction? Likewise I'm not sure the pink bird works with the rest, part of me likes the pink bird and flowers and part of me finds it distracting. All of those are little things, really.

Thanks Wren! You mentioned all the things I wasn't too sure about myself so this is a nice confirmation :)

Daktari: I still have some problems with white... it just becomes grey OR totally white. I'll just have to practice more I guess. Same goes for the hair.

Yovanka: It's indeed the yellow scarf that irritates me on the pics. In real life it is less flat, I took about 20 pics but it stayed the same. The thing she is standing on is eh... well... I had something in mind but that didn't work. Sadly I was unpatient and already glued her on the base, so I tried to hide it behind some plants :) And the ibis, I felt the overall composition needed some red and I didn't want to ruin the mini itself. I thought about a white ibis, but I fond this more attracting (or distracting, depends on how you look at it :)).

For the shape of the base on Yovanka, honestly I probably wouldn't have even thought twice about it if I hadn't been taking a good close look for critical feedback. I probably would have preferred the white ibis idea, but I can see where you were going with this.

They're all lovely pieces!