IP 2007 - Round one entry: The Death Priest

stubbdog

The theme for Round one was: The Dead of Winter...

Even though the judging has not been completed, other people have posted their paintjobs for round one in other places so I figured I can too.

I used two models:

Reaper DHL # 2957 The Death Priest

Reaper Dragon # 10012 Kaladrax

The base is made out of the blue insulation foam. Then I used white glue to glue down a bunch of rocks and pebbles for the underfill. Spray painted the whole scene several shades of brown and dark blue to set the cold dark ground.

Then layed another layer of PVC glue and dumped a bunch of woodland scenic snow on there. Unfortunately, I did not have a whole lot of time to wait for the glue to dry (I spent 2 weeks painting the priest and dragon, so of course I only had like 5 hours to do the base), I tried using a hair dryer for a while, but I couldnt wait any longer.

I pulled out the air brush to start doing the shading of the snow (I wanted the affect that the ball and chain on the priest was a lightsource and so it would provide a glow coming from there). It was apparent almost immediately that this was not ging to work. Maybe if I could wait for it to completely dry it would have, but under the circumstances all I was doing was blowing chunks of still wet snow off the piece. The airbrush was just too powerful and focused with its airflow.

So, I fell back on the only other thing that I had a I could use... spray paint.

The positive for spray paint is that I could hold it way back from the piece so that I wouldnt just douce it in color, and it was also far enough away that the airflow wasnt blowing the snow off.

The negative was that the paint is obviously much thicker than it would be thru an airbrush. So unfortunately, I lost the whole translucent affect of tinted snow. Its now just straight painted snow. I also lost the ability to create the heavy shadows that would have been created by the priest and the different dragon parts from the object source lighting as the only way to do that would have been the controlled airbrush. That was my biggest disapointment in the piece.

Along the same lines, the other negative was that the same was true about the dragon as the snow. I had painted the dragon a good bit, but needed to go ahead and pin it down to the diorama before the airbrush/spray paint so that when I did use the air paint it would come out right. Again, the spray paint instead of airbrush caused the coverage to be much thicker than I was looking for and it covered up a lot of my painting.

But, even with the negatives that happened, I think I was able to salvage it as best I could hope for with the spray paint. And overall I do think it came out with a nice eery cold feeling to it even if it is not as perfect as I was looking for.

And here is the result:

death-of-winter-1b.jpg

Well, Stubbdog, I've made a habit of not giving any public comments about the IP at least until judging is in....so I will reserve that until later.

But, several folks are sharing thier stuff (like on CMoN) and I say have at it. It's good exposure for the contest and for the grueling race you folks are in....

@Ritual....shame on you! Crack crack! (thats my whip cracking...although it has the effect of wet noodle, it is still impressively waved about)

As requested by a few, I grabbed a few of my wip pictures of the priest before i mounted him to the base and did it up. Upon studying it further, I have to say.. DANG IT!! the overhead lamp used to take the picture also totally negatd my object source lighting from below, by creating the shadows on the underside of the chains rather than on the top of the chains where I painted them.

oh well, pictures anyway:

priest-wip2a.jpg

I'm done judging! As I mentioned before, like Eric, I won't make comments this round as there are simply too many entries and it would take me forever to make useful comments on everyone. But, if anyone wants to know the reason for their scores feel free to ask.

In general I can say that if you went with just a winter base for a regular mini I gave 3 theme points. If you elaborated further upon that I added more points.