Color Advice, please

Jubilee

Yea, I think the trick here is using the hem to pull the eye upwards towards the face. So try and start of darker or more muted towards the bottom, then bring the lighter colour around the waist.

There's a great miniature by Cyril Abati which I commented on earlier today, which basically use the same colour scheme, and using small patch's of red to balance the focal point on the face.

Il find the link before I head off to kip.

*EDIT* here it is: http://www.coolminiornot.com/98766

I love the way the red on the head and the red on the base pull my eyes vertical over the mini, but the very soft pink colour on the lips allow's me to settle my focus on the face.

Hope this helps, Id try and figure ot some colour's to use, but It's 4am and I'm about to collapse!

She's holding a wand. I tried a brownish-black with red highlights and it didn't come out very well, I'll probably repaint it with a neutral woodgrain, or possibly shiney black/gray.

That conversion by Cyril is extremely weird! But I see what you mean about the color..

Maybe I'll go with green for the top and trim and put a little more red into the purple.. *sigh* This model should not be this hard!!

/ali

She's holding a wand. I tried a brownish-black with red highlights and it didn't come out very well, I'll probably repaint it with a neutral woodgrain, or possibly shiney black/gray.

Please do not take that question as a criticism! I couldn't determine what I was looking at. It seemed way too heavy for a wand to me, but that is the sculpt, not the painting.

Don't worry, Thyrth - I didn't like the wand before you asked what it was, so it's not your fault if I change it.. Actually, I think a shiney black-gray will really suit the model better than the red-brown

I decided to go with red for the top & trim, plus added more red to her lips and started the jewelry, which I decided should be a pale gold for contrast reasons, even though I think Drow are more likely to wear silver (don't ask me why).

Elmore9DrowWIP3.jpg

Thanks for the help! Tell me what you think =) I think I will end up adding more yellow to the red, but I need to finish the purple first to see how it will look together.

/ali