Isabelle

Hinton

This is a mini that I received a while back as a gift from another painter (who shall - for now - remain anonymous; you know who you are, though). I've been in a bit of a painting slump and I wanted to get something done.

This also gave me a chance to mess around with my new camera. I'm still not used to it or exactly what settings will give me the best pictures; hopefully more practice will produce better results.

Comments, advice and critiques are welcome and appreciated.

isabelleip9.jpg

You seem to have managed to get the paint very smooth, which is good, but you need to get some depth into both the skin and the hair. Painting skin this way can look allright on a mini with perhaps just face and arm uncovered, but on a naked mini you need to get more depth. But good work on the smoothness! :)

@EFS: Thanks. I did add things (rocks, paint, sand, etc) prior to pouring the resin in. Here's a photo from the top: Top-down photo.

@Ritual: Thanks. I'll definitely aim for getting more depth on my minis.

@FF: Thanks. I was a bit concerned with how it would turn out (my first time doing any kind of water effects), but I think it came out ok.

Guest Eastern Front Studios

Hinton thanks for sharing :) .I have a picture when I was in the army in Crete and the water was a as blue green as can be from the coral /algae but a stunning little scene it would surely make..the illusion of depth is always fun..how deep is that one, it actually looks to have some depth.

Hinton thanks for sharing :) .I have a picture when I was in the army in Crete and the water was a as blue green as can be from the coral /algae but a stunning little scene it would surely make..the illusion of depth is always fun..how deep is that one, it actually looks to have some depth.

You're welcome. I did think about adding some kind of coloring to it, but decided to hold off. The base is a piece of polystyrene foam cut into a circle. I then hollowed out a little over half of it to a depth of about 1/8 inch to hold the resin.

Nate Id like to see the bases ..Valloa can you show some pics by chance?

just wondering Hinton did you use the one step water from Woodland Scenics or a 2 step mixture?

Hinton I have seen some but the first thing that threw me off was the the pieces of resin you were supposed to melt were yellow((one step type))..unless tinting it straight out the pack wouldnt work..I have delt with 2 step also seems to work well..but even years later still seems somewhat tacky..how is the crystal sheen?..course on a dio you wouldnt be handling it much..but no one wants a big finger print on the water ;) since thats what people looking at it usually do..ohhh nice..finger straight to the water.

I just saw something called "Magic Water" (http://www.unrealdetails.com/) at the Hobby Town when I stopped by to buy glue. Has anyone tried it? It sounds pretty good - two part cold mix that doesn't shrink or bubble and is pretty much designed for the kinds of things we would use it for. I was tempted, but it was $30 and I don't have anything immediate I need water for.

Matty doing multiple of layers seems this would work well..pour and tin and repeat..might have its uses

Rhonda yeah sounds good but pricey indeed.If model railroad guys like it thats a sign its very realistic.