My Rotten Harvest: Ahsa Ruyar

Mclimbin

Hey all,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the great feedback that I got for my submission. Seems like most people said I did a pretty good job but the photo was not so good. I'd like to know if you think the values-adjusted version is better (on the right) than the original one that I submitted (on the left).

I went with the original one for my submission because I thought the colors were closer to real life. The background might have confused some people too, because it's actually a golden brown color, not white. It didn't work so well, I guess. I should have used a more neutral background.

I'll probably pull out my photo gear and take another shot at her (pun intended;) ) So if you have any advice for me related to photography, photoshop or even any other painting-related critiques, I'd be really happy to hear it.

A couple of notes: she started out with a kind of skull-face bra, but I didn't like the way it looked. It was cool in the concept art but didn't look right on the mini. I also wanted her to look fairly normal, pretty, and girl-next-door-ish, but then with skellies coming out from under her skirt (!!). So I ground the skulls off and painted her bodice to cover her parts.

I also tried for both a muted and a limited palette. I used the same color (MSP Desert Sand) to highlight both the red and the green, and then used the same Desert Sand for the skellies, with MSP Red Liner for the shadows on the skellies. I like how the red leather turned out more than the green cloak, personally.

ahsatotalrm6.jpgahsatotal2bw4.jpg

This DOES look better than you other pictures IMHO, but (to be brutally honest, I hope you forgive me) I think with this picture, people might have been saying "the background is too bright and makes the colors on the mini look washed out."

I think the most commonly used sky-blue background would be best, it tends not to be too bright to wash out colors and doesn't give a look of having a hue problem in picture that has a background of any other color.

But your second set of pictures are an improvement over the first, I agree! But I still remember thinking "ooooooooooooh" when I first saw your entry in teh RH gallery ;) Just keep experimenting with your photo program's different functions, it's the best way to learn.

:D

I like it and think it looks better IMO and as Duende said though, you'll certainly get those folks that are going to tell you the background is too bright, but I think it gives a better alternative than the 'yellowish-dull' one from before irregardless.

Experimenet with background layers and see if any of that works for you for displaying your piece, might find it'll be a bit more complimenting for your piece. There is an excellent piece by Spacemunkie on here somewhere about photoshopping your miniature.