Laurana the Sorceress

Hinton

just to check :

besides the camera it could be either the lightsource or that you dont use a macrofunction (or have one at all.)

for lightsource I think 2 lightsources work best, of wich one should be natural or close to natural sun light .. the other at a closer proximity, probably some sort of direct light like a desk light.

havent photographed many miniatures tough... this comes from other stuff.

also dont hold the camera when pressing the button works too, or press the button-breath-and slowly release finger from the button, your hands can give a *shockback* wich blurs the picture.

mind you, Im not remotely a camera expert, neither pretending to be and maybe some others have better advice (or it might just be the camera after all :)) just repeating stuff I remember from art school.

supervike: Thanks!

Wren: Thank you. I'm finding that faces are one of the hardest things for me, but I keep practicing.

Illustrange: Thanks for the tips, but I'm doing all that: two light sources (although, both are incandescent bulbs - maybe that's part of the problem?) and macro setting. When I take the picture, the camera is sitting on the table; I learned to not hold the camera. I also set the WB for incandescent light. I think it's just a cheap camera.

Frustrated Father: Thanks!

It's early days for you yet Hinton, and I'm pretty confident you'll catch the hang of faces and then some as you practice, given what a quick start you're off to. My first few were certainly nothing to brag about, and now faces seem to be what people like best about my painting. Eyes in particular took me some time to get the hang of, both in what I was aiming for and the brush control to do it. I'm enjoying watching how quickly you're improving!