Neat! Cthulhu Action Figures

@ Supervike- Do not read Cthulhu stuff or any Lovecraft! If you pick up the HPL collection "Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre" in a relatively inexpensive trade-size paperback, you will end up dropping hundreds of $$ on amorphous, squamous gibbering horrors in miniature, along with dozens of tiny victims... I mean, adventurers, out to stop them!

Step away from the Cthulhu...

I consider that fair warning!! I will under no circumstances subject myself to searching for that book at Barnes and Noble or on Ebay. But, if it happens to accidently get searched, I mean just out of purely research means, then I will not drop hundreds of dollars on stuff, unless of course, the minis are cool.

Just as a cursory glance, it does seem it could fit into our little 'alternate ww2' quite well.

@gi6ers...thanks for the linkage! I must go look at this stuff....just so I can better contribute to this thread....

Grenadier did a good line of them that come up on ebay frequently, and RAFM's Bob Murch sculpted line has the finest critters ever done. The 3 pack adventurers are fine, although roughly done.

@ supervike-The idea that Nazis would try to raise creatures from their milleniums of slumber to do their evil bidding and must be stopped at any cost by intrepid adventurers aided by Allied military must not even be considered... :AR15firin

:)

That's some awesome stuff.

The werewolf they do is pretty scarry too.

The Kurt Russel figure is okay, better than the Luke action figure.

The "Pickman's Model" is disproportionate. I thought it was the Wendigo, but then read the title. Ghouls are human-sized. That thing's a giant.

Vike:

One thing to keep in mind is when Lovecraft was writing. A lot of the world was as yet unexplored and certainly unseen by human satallites.

My favorite stories are probably

"Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath" (not scary at all but lots of nice creatures) and

"At the Mountains of Madness." (this book actually had me running past the hall of my own house - I recommend reading it in a dark empty building with lots of long corridors)

Vike:

One thing to keep in mind is when Lovecraft was writing. A lot of the world was as yet unexplored and certainly unseen by human satallites.

So lots of hidden areas?

I know I have a book of CTHULHU somewhere around here...probably in my shed. I knew it had short stories, but I probably only read a few. I'm really intrigued and excited about checking him out.

We should start some sort of informal 'book club'. Someone suggest a book, give us a week or so to read a few chapters, then discuss. It may be interesting.

So lots of hidden areas?

I know I have a book of CTHULHU somewhere around here...probably in my shed.

I suppose that's where you keep your record of the strange sounding incantation too? :D

I tried to get some Lovecraft books here. No luck - Mayersche, one of the biggest book stores in Germany, was not able to get it from ANYWHERE. Well, I suppose I'll have to peruse tah intarweb yet once again! http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/index.html

There they are.

The cool thing about Gi6ers link above, is it has almost ALL the Lovecraft stories, if you don't mind them reading them off the internet!!

It bothers me because it is a violation of copyright.

On the other hand, had the supreme court ruled the other way on the sony bono copyright extension act a couple of years ago, it would not be, and even with the extension, the copyright expires next year.

However, I'm all for promoting great reading.

(note - due to his fans, EVERYTHING by HPL has been printed: this means stories he wrote when he was 12 like The Beast in the Cave. Obviously not everything he wrote is good.)

One thing to point out to the new reader is the repetition of names. Note that the expedition in At the Mountains of Madness is funded by Pickman, from Pickman's Model.

Lovecraft crossed everything over, and he and his friends would often include each other's names in their stories, sometimes in modified form, but Clark Ashton Smith shows up as himself in At the Mountains of Madness.

Then when you've read all of this, read Terry Pratchett. He has quite a few Lovecraft references in his first diskworld books - I particularly like the book the "Necrotelecomnicon".

Ok...I'm deep into some of the Lovecraft stories and am enjoying them immensely...

I'm now ready 'THE SHADOW OVER INNMOUTH', and came across a passage that made me think. This old timer is describing these 'fish-frog' people to our hero and says this...

"Pious cusses, these was - they didn't leave nothin' standin' on either the main island or the little volcanic islet excep' what parts of the ruins was too big to knock daown. In some places they was little stones strewed abaout - like charms - with somethin' on 'em like what ye call a swastika naowadays. "

I was under the impression that Lovecraft died sometime before the Rise of Nazism. Did swastika's even exist that early in modern consciensnous? Or is this another example of his use of archaic terms? I realize the swastika is an ancient symbol, but the timing of the reference(Early 1930's I assume) seems oddly foreboding of what was to become of that symbol and its use towards the mid-to late parts of that decade. Anyhow, I'm really enjoying these and hope I can discuss it with others.

Don't know.

Quick google search reveals that :

"In the 1800s, countries around Germany were growing much larger, forming empires; yet Germany was not a unified country until 1871. To counter the feeling of vulnerability and the stigma of youth, German nationalists in the mid-nineteenth century began to use the swastika, because it had ancient Aryan/Indian origins, to represent a long Germanic/Aryan history.

By the end of the nineteenth century, the swastika could be found on nationalist German volkisch periodicals and was the official emblem of the German Gymnasts' League.

In the beginning of the twentieth century, the swastika was a common symbol of German nationalism and could be found in a multitude of places such as the emblem for the Wandervogel, a German youth movement; on Joerg Lanz von Liebenfels' antisemitic periodical Ostara; on various Freikorps units; and as an emblem of the Thule Society.

On August 7, 1920, at the Salzburg Congress, this flag became the official emblem of the Nazi Party"

Shadow over Innmouth was written in 1931.

• 2 weeks later...

The premise of the novels aren't bad at all, but they just aren't exactly my style of writing so I don't enjoy it overly much. Still, some good reads and one of those that I suggest reading for the hell of it, along with the customary Tolkien novel (which BTW, I find dull and uninteresting, but I'm in the minority here).

The premise of the novels aren't bad at all, but they just aren't exactly my style of writing so I don't enjoy it overly much. Still, some good reads and one of those that I suggest reading for the hell of it, along with the customary Tolkien novel (which BTW, I find dull and uninteresting, but I'm in the minority here).

No, I know what you mean, Tolkien books bore the hell out of me. The Brian Lumley short stories based on the Mythos are a little easier to read - Think there were 2 books in the Mythos Omnibus series.

I've been reading the hell out of Lovecraft stuff ever since this thread appeared. I love the way he writes. I admit it is a bit challenging at first, but after a bit, you get used to it.

His use of archaiac terms forces me to have to go look up words quite a bit in the dictionary, but it really creates a sense of 'gothic' horror for me. Plus, his use of the 1st person narrative is something I really enjoy. I've never been much of a 'horror' story reader, but keeping in mind when he wrote these stories, they are very chilling. He is very adept at understatement, letting your imagination 'fill in the gaps'.

I was new to Lovecraft too, having just a passing knowledge of who he was and so forth. I still haven't got into too much of the CTHULU mythos, as I have been reading most of the other stories, building up to these. I will definately check out the Lumley stuff when I get a chance.

(Tolkien boring? Blasphemy!)

Running on a slight tangent, while the mention of Brian Lumley's out, have any of you read the Necrospoe trilogy that he wrote? Quite a break away from the Lovecraftian material that he wrote, but quite original and interesting.

And back to topic, Like the figures...Thay look really ....erm...Nice ?

• 4 weeks later...

Still waiting for these figs!! LOL

Vince, you may be interested to know that Guillermo Del Toro the uber cool director of the HELLBOY movie is aparently working on "At the Mountains of Madness"...At least trying to get it into production. He is trying to work on Hellboy 2, it seems.

I thought the ending of Hellboy had a very 'lovecraftian' feel to it.