Simple Miniature WIP Case

Nathan Caroland

I ran across a link that shot me over to a blog and I found myself really surprised by some of the ingenuity displayed there. In particular, a CD case turned into a miniature WIP case. Here are the pics and the text that he's got up there as well as the link as the fellow deserves a bit of a kudo's for thinking outside of the box so to speak.

--

http://www.weetoysoldiers.com/wp/

I’ve had a couple of old plastic CD cases in the storage shed for years, the holdovers from my college and bachelor days, not quite suitable for the living room anymore. These are the older style CD racks with guide rails for individual CD jewel cases. Being perfectly functional CD cases, I’ve been reluctant to throw them away.

And now my packrat-tendencies are about to be rewarded! It’s occured to me recently that they’d make fairly decent storage and display cases for work-in-progress miniatures, or for storing game-ready miniatures by the gaming table.

These were black to begin with, so I primed them grey, let dry, and overcoated with semi-gloss white paint. For the “shelves,” I disassembled CD jewel cases and used the bottom trays (with lips all around) to hold the miniatures. It works quite well — the adjustable height and slide-out trays are quite handy. If I were so inclined, I could even probably affix a piece of plexiglass on hinges to provide dust cover. Naaah — too much work. icon_biggrin.gif

2005-12-23_G3_08219_components_460x.jpg

Each tray is approx. 4.75″ x 5.5″, and can easily accomodate about 10-15 28mm figures or a single vehicle.

2005-12-23_G3_08214_frontal-view_460x.jpg

Front view.

2005-12-23_G3_08215_side-angle-view_460x.jpg