The Mini Vault

RedGoblin

I was wondering what the typical pricing structure is for those that offer painting services?

Is it a level system:

Level 1: Painted for play

Level 2: Painted for collection

Level 3: Painted for showcase

Or would it even break down to mmSize and foot, mounted, etc...

What is the most basic all encompassing way to list prices do you think?

I was thinking the easiest way to break it down is:

Model & Scale | Level 1 | Level 2 | Level 3

or

28mm Foot | 10.00 | 20.00 | 30.00

Mind you the prices above are just example values not real values.

If I were you, I'd introduce the time you spent painting the mini in your equation. Never give fixed prices. General ideas are good, but always keep a door open to say : "hold on there, that Rackham mini has 3 times more details then a GW one, sorry but it'll cost you more". Otherwise, you'll be waisting your eyesight for nothing ;).

yes, for details of other peoples prices, I'm not that good, since I've never really sold or bought commission work.

However I think the bottom line is make sure you have a good idea about what makes it worth it for you, and don't accept less than that. I think that's the most important thing.

Yep, unless you want to work for less than minimum wage, do it by the commission. And make it worth your while. If people don't want to pay the price, sod them I say. It's not as if anyone makes a killing or manages to rip anyone off painting minis is it?

you know who did make a killing if he decides to resell is the guy who Anja was painting that high elves army for. Talk about catching a quickly rising star for a big commission at the right time.

I agree with all the above.

Generally speaking, I only paint to one quality---"the best I can".

I try to charge a fari price--and I make allowances for stuff that inspires me, or stuff that I just want to do---as I don't actually need the money to survive.

I usually just try to charge a dollar amount based on this:

"What is it worth to me to let this miniature leave my personal collection?"

And then I try to answer that question with a dollar amount.

Also, I tend to do stuff for folks that openly support the hobby (at their own expense) *much* cheaper than I would do them otherwise.

Ultimately, I think I've given away more miniatures than I've sold.

I'm not asking as if I was the one painting. I am asking in regards to a way for painters pffering their services on a community website...so the website has a basic layout for the information that keeps everyone approximately the same.

Do you think the layout I suggested in the initial post Level1-3 is a good basis. Obviously you fill out the info as you see fit...so if you only want level 1 costs and don't care about size or anything then you would just fill out the spaces appropriately...

And of course you could always leave the detail message that the prices are really suggestive as to the approximate cost of the figure of the certain level. Like a base idea and that the actual price of painting will depand on the figure and the deal struck prior to work beginning.

Sorry for the double post, but maybe taking into account if the painter can sculpt and convert would be nice too.

doesnt bother me if you double post. LOL

and yes I do haev an agenda...I'm already working on a site. LOL

I am planning on multiple angles exactly like what you are suggesting...Sculptors will have profiles much like painters, not sure if converters should have the ability to make their own profiles as well. What do you guys think?

The ebay thing would be great, course it would have to come after the rest of the site was done as I would have to read through their documentation to implement it. Of course if someone else already has that bit of code and are willing to share it (the passing to and from ebay) I would be very appreciative and it would save me a TON of time. LOL

I was planning on keeping the site underwraps until it was completely done but i guess I am at the point where I am starting to need suggestions from people that would be using the site. Of course its not done yet, and the painters section is what I am working on right now so its not available but the collection portion of the site is...I have already had a couple people from Wyrd check it out (Father, SuperVike, Sakura and Mosch) as well as Jeff Valent and Sally from Hasslefree....so if you would like to take a peek, join the site and start posting suggestions that would be FANTASTIC!

anyone interested please shoot me a private message asking for the address and i will share it with you. I dont want everyone in the mini community knowing about it yet but a few interested parties that are willing to be honest and give suggestions would be great!

So PM me.

I'd suggest you make one profile type with attributes (painter, sculptor, convertor, ...). Steve B. is a wonderful sculptor but equally a great painter; how would people like him manage if they were catalogued in only one category?

Also adding specialities would be nice for searching quickly : NMM, TMM, blending, SENMM, freehand, OSL, texturing, ...

I'd suggest you make one profile type with attributes (painter, sculptor, convertor, ...). Steve B. is a wonderful sculptor but equally a great painter; how would people like him manage if they were catalogued in only one category?

Also adding specialities would be nice for searching quickly : NMM, TMM, blending, SENMM, freehand, OSL, texturing, ...

true

I was suggesting that one member could have three different "profiles" though as each one would be a different page as it were, one dedicated to painting one to sculpting and one to converting. Although the idea of searching that you meantion is great. Not sure what all the acronyms mean but good idea. LOL

have already had a couple people from Wyrd check it out (Father, SuperVike, Sakura and Mosch) as well as Jeff Valent and Sally from Hasslefree....so if you would like to take a peek, join the site and start posting suggestions that would be FANTASTIC!

Um... I can't actually remember that one. I just checked my mails and PMs.... are you sure you sent a link to me? If so, I apologize for my memory failure... *scratches head in a confused way*

Ok I am working on the whole Painter's Service Profiles and you guys that have been to the site and have accounts can go play with them and give me some feedback on what you think...any wants, wishes, critiques are more than welcome

I guess I will just share it with everyone here, anyone willing to test stuff out I would really appreciate it.

Heres my test Profile: HG's Painters Service Profile Example

Still a work in progress but you will get the basic idea.

Hey guys!

First I would like to thank Father for letting me post this little bit here on his forums. Thanks Nathan!

Second as I am sure tha majority of you already know I have been toiling away on a new community website called The Mini Vault, where you can have a personal Check List of your collections, and offer a Painting Service profile with Feedback area...

Well we are also going to be doing similar profiles for Sculptors and Conversion Artists, so while I finish up the site I have been thinking of holding a few contests to officially kick off the Launch of the website...

I am thinking a Painting, Sculpting and Conversion Contest...With that said, I am so busy with building the website I could really use some help with theme idea's that would keep in with the general feel of the Mini Vault.

I have posted 3 seperate topics over on the mini vaults forums and would REALLY appreciate if you guys have the time to come on over and post some ideas as to themes for these contests.

Anyhoo, thanks to all of you who have signed up, and I hope to see you even more as the site grows and more services become available!

HERES THE LINK: http://theminivault.grimeygames.com/SMF/

Red Goblin

aka Task Master

Hey guys! Sorry for the double post..I figured maybe my subject should be a little more to the point and changing it didnt change it on the Topic list page so I figured I would repost with the new title. Teach me to not think before I type...well it probably didnt but oh well.

First I would like to thank Father for letting me post this little bit here on his forums. Thanks Nathan!

Second as I am sure tha majority of you already know I have been toiling away on a new community website called The Mini Vault, where you can have a personal Check List of your collections, and offer a Painting Service profile with Feedback area...

Well we are also going to be doing similar profiles for Sculptors and Conversion Artists, so while I finish up the site I have been thinking of holding a few contests to officially kick off the Launch of the website...

I am thinking a Painting, Sculpting and Conversion Contest...With that said, I am so busy with building the website I could really use some help with theme idea's that would keep in with the general feel of the Mini Vault.

I have posted 3 seperate topics over on the mini vaults forums and would REALLY appreciate if you guys have the time to come on over and post some ideas as to themes for these contests.

Anyhoo, thanks to all of you who have signed up, and I hope to see you even more as the site grows and more services become available!

HERES THE LINK: http://theminivault.grimeygames.com/SMF/

Red Goblin

aka Task Master