Books weaving magical longing .... for more

artshiraz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's really a great series, I started reading them when they first came out, waiting years for him to finish was awful.

I tried the Tailsman, similar in vein but not nearly as good.

Hey guys, thought I'd toss my two cents in.

I was walking through the local book store one day when a Stephen King novel caught my eye. It was Wolves of the Calla, the 5th book in the Dark towers series (i have this really uncanny ability to pick up a book that's halfway through a series, and be able to actually get what's going on).

I was immediately hooked. I went back and began to tear my way through the rest of the series, finally ending with The Dark Tower. All 8 books still sit in my library, and I'm looking for a bookbinder to rebind my copy of The Dark Tower - it's beginning to fall apart! Honestly, I believe the story to be King's magnum opus, and I'm very excited in the fact that another novel should be coming out.

To indulge, it may be. The Gunslinger, Roland, is the main character central to the story~ though I'm aware there's also a comic book line based on the world, which is not the same. Much like The Old Republic line of Star Wars comic has no similarity to the games. In any case- the Dark Tower series is loosely based on the poem, that begins 'Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came...'

If you're familiar with any of Steven Kings other works, you'll find that they connect eerily through this other world, my favorite example being the appearance of Flagg who also appeared in both 'The Stand' and 'Eyes of the Dragon'. (two of King's other best works, imo)

I suppose to explain as best I can, imagine a fantasy world transposing eerily with our own. And losing itself. Dying. Like the transition is a sort of worsening post-apocalypse where time and distance have gotten weird. Letsee, there's a suicidal train that reminds me of a male counterpart to GLADOS from Portal, individuals from different times in our world, mutants, monsters, the city of Ludd which might as well be a place from 40K that the Empire forgot. XD It's a great mishmashed setting that just really works great together.

The best part about the series?

STEPHEN KING APPEARS IN HIS OWN BOOK.

*ahem*

Anyway, Lud is actually New York city, but from an alternate universe (Roland's universe, which has magic and monsters and gunslingers and knights and the like). Also? They travel to Oz. And of course there's the multi-book chase of Randall Flagg, King's all-time villain!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just thought i'd mention matthew reilly's books...

They're certainly not groundbreaking award winning literature by any means, but I've read every one of his books multiple times and they're still awesome every time. They're insanely fast paced, lots of explosions and heaps of "yeah that would never happen in real life" moments (like getting on the other side of a car pinning you to a tunnel wall by driving up the wall and flipping the car over the other's roof, killing a helicopter with an enemy-driven jet ski or even chasing down a ballistic missile with a plane so you can disarm it mid-flight).

If you're in the mood for a little physics-defying action to satisfy the 12 year old boy inside you - definitely check out ice station or area 7 or any of them actually...