Rule question: Lady Sybille aura "Bump into the night" + Aka Sebastiak Baker "Urban Legend"

ShameOnMe

Hi,

I wonder what is your interpretation of Lady Sybille aura "Bump into the night", lets take example that enemy modes is being moved outside of its activation into engagement range of 3 RedChapel models, does he receives:

• +1 Distracted
  • +1 +1 +1 Distracted (this is my interpretation)
  • +3 Distracted (couse move triggered 3 instances of +1 distracted which are cumulative and comes from the same ability, and are triggered in the same time)

image.png.b8980fc90291f0cafffa74286b406965.png

I am also asking that in context of Aka Sebastian Baker "Urban legend" and some abilities like "Black Blood". Taking above example into consideration if enemy model would receive +1  +1 +1 distraction therefore +1 +1 +1 damage, Black Blood would return 3 dmg, but if it for some reson is cumulative so +3 distracted = +3 dmg it would only trigger Bad Blood once.

Looking forward for your answers, wish you all a lot of time to play Malifaux :)

12 hours ago, ShameOnMe said:

I wonder what is your interpretation of Lady Sybille aura "Bump into the night", lets take example that enemy modes is being moved outside of its activation into engagement range of 3 RedChapel models, does he receives:

• +1 Distracted
  • +1 +1 +1 Distracted (this is my interpretation)
  • +3 Distracted (couse move triggered 3 instances of +1 distracted which are cumulative and comes from the same ability, and are triggered in the same time)

Ending its movement engaging three enemy models is still just satisfying the condition "engaging an enemy model".  Like RegeIridderen wrote, in order for a single aura to grant Distracted +1 for each enemy model, it would have to say that. 

There are lots of cases where the rules are written with +'s in them where the reason is convention, rather than plausible stacking.  Also, "Distracted +1" is written with a "+1" because the condition stacks with pre-existing instances.

• Like 2

Thank you for your clarification. I've just recently started to play Malifaux with my buddy and since we do not have any comunity nearby we are stuck to ourselves with such problems. Both of us played countless skirmishes / wargames in the past and I have to say that sometimes Malifaux rules confuses me even if i read through rulebook multiple times. Anyway i still believe it is amazing game, and i am thrilled to play again and again and again :)

Let's say above example, when I first read it it was like super obvious to me that if enemy model was moved into multiple redchapel models it will gain +1 distracted token for each Redchapel model. My thought was that aura works all the time, and there is actually nothing in the rules (at least nothing i found) stating that aura is resolved just once instead auras have condition (trigger) to be met and effect that occure when condition is met, therefore in my interpretation such move would satisfy condition of the "Bump into the night" for 3 different redchapel models and enemy should receive +1 distracted 3 times.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShameOnMe said:

Let's say above example, when I first read it it was like super obvious to me that if enemy model was moved into multiple redchapel models it will gain +1 distracted token for each Redchapel model. My thought was that aura works all the time, and there is actually nothing in the rules (at least nothing i found) stating that aura is resolved just once instead auras have condition (trigger) to be met and effect that occure when condition is met, therefore in my interpretation such move would satisfy condition of the "Bump into the night" for 3 different redchapel models and enemy should receive +1 distracted 3 times.

Because you tried to explain your original thinking, I'll try to elaborate as well.

When you're resolving abilities because something happened, you look at each model with an ability on it that had its trigger condition satisfied and resolve the ability.

You have one copy of the aura on Madame Sybelle.  When the enemy model ends its movement, you check Madame Sybelle's instance of the ability, and you see that it has been satisfied, so you resolve it.  The fact that you ended up engaging three models instead of just one doesn't have any bearing on the situation--that's just excess beyond the minimum to satisfy the requirement.

Bump in the Night is a single aura centered on Madame Sybelle which has that complicated trigger condition.  It's not an ability which creates effects on the red chapel models in the aura range.

In that situation, if you had some Rotten Belles (they have the Pounce ability which gives them Fast in this sort of situation), each Rotten Belle's Pounce ability will trigger at the same time.  This happens because Pounce is an ability on each of the models.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for explaining it Solkan, that makes perfect sence. Playing multiple games makes you life complicated since you assume a lot and sometimes confuse rules from another game  with current one :) I hope i will slowly get use to Malifaux and experience it to the full extent :) 

Happy wargaming!