Multiple Hazardous Auras

Hollow

Question

Some actions grant the Hazardous Aura to a Marker, e.g.
image.thumb.png.fbe837042d295179699fe64bac112f0b.pngimage.thumb.png.6bbacd332044b18fdadd641b69f07cc6.png

Are these Hazardous effects cumulative if granted to:
1) the same Scheme Marker;
2) different Scheme Markers.

The rulebook says that neither Auras caused by Abilities with the same name and Hazardous Markers of the same type are cumulative. But these Auras are provided by the Action's Effect and the Trigger, so I suppose they are cumulative even on the same Marker. Am I right?

4 answers to this question

5 hours ago, Hollow said:

The rulebook says that neither Auras caused by Abilities with the same name and Hazardous Markers of the same type are cumulative. But these Auras are provided by the Action's Effect and the Trigger, so I suppose they are cumulative even on the same Marker. Am I right?

The first sentence of the paragraph you're referring to says:

Auras are not cumulative. 

It then continues

If a model would be affected by multiple Auras of the same name (i.e., if the Aura would change its game state in some way), then it is only affected by one such Aura of its con- troller’s choice.

Then, if you return to the first paragraph discussing auras:

The Aura icon (a) means the Action or Ability affects an area around the object that has the Aura.

and concerning triggers:

5. If a model suffers damage from a Trigger, is that damage considered to also be from the Action that generated the Trigger?

a) Yes. Effects from Triggers are additional effects of the Action. Thus, Abilities such as Incorporeal that modify the effects of certain Actions would also modify the effects of their Triggers.

So:

• Auras, whether generated by abilities or actions (and remember, the effects of triggers are considered part of their generating action) are not cumulative.

Note also that "Hazardous Markers of the same type are not cumulative" is wrong.  Multiple hazardous markers of the same type are treated as a single marker.  As noted in the example in the rulebook, the effects of two different hazardous markers are cumulative.

Also, the FAQ has as an important note about how Hazardous combines:

7. Grave Goo – If the Grave Goo is within Hazardous (Damage 1) Terrain, will its Trail of Slime Ability make the Terrain Hazardous (Damage 2 and Poison +1)?
a) No. The damage of the Hazardous is not cumulative so the terrain would just be Hazardous (Damage 1 and Poison +1).

However, if it were standing in Hazardous (Poison +1) terrain, the effects would stack to Hazardous (Damage 1 and Poison +2).

In other words, multiples of the Hazardous(Damage 1) terrain trait on the same terrain piece is just Hazardous(Damage 1).

• Respectfully Disagree 2

@solkan Auras not being cumulative is saying auras of the same name do not stack, which you also quoted so I'm not sure how you missed that. This is two different auras both generating their own hazardous terrain that just happen to be centered on the same scheme marker. The Grave Goo FAQ is irrelevent here because it is not adding a hazardous trait to an existing piece of hazardous terrain, it's just creating a wholly different piece of hazardous terrain.

I'm sorry, I was distracted by the part in the original question where you appeared to be saying "The rules say that the auras generated by actions and abilities aren't cumulative, but these are triggers."  And the usual host of expected follow ups concerning models standing within two or more instances of those auras...  🤨

Can you use those two triggers to put two hazardous auras on the same marker(s)?  Sure.  Because they're not the same auras (they have different names).

Can you use those triggers to put the multiple of the same hazardous auras on those markers?  That won't do anything, because that's just multiples of the same aura.