Malifaux Masquerade (and other multiplayer formats)

King of Draconis

Question

The release of this new, hidden role mode brought a couple questions:

The initiative rules (should cheating be an option) has some interesting situations. Mainly when getting ties.
Even without one, in this case if you want to activate later, you have to cheat a lower card, and it complicates the situation even more if someone cheats a card that ties with someone else's.
I have this example, please tell me if my thoughts have any errors in it!
Let's start with a possible setup: A, B and C are playing and flipping for initiative: 7, 5, 5 in this order. As no players have any sort of initiative yet, B and C has to decide someway else who has the chance to cheat first. Let's say it's C. However he doesn't want to so B has a chance now, and B does cheat with a 7, generating a tie, but this time it's a bit easier as A is the only one left that didn't cheat. What if A wants to go last, or at least after B, so he cheats with a 5, as there is no lower cards in his hand. Now A and C are tied, C didn't want to cheat, and A just did, so they reflip between the two of them and they both still have a chance to cheat again, but they have no further chance to start acting before B.
So if after players had the chance to cheat first and getting into situations when they are tied, they only decide (reflip and maybe cheat again) among themselves?

Victory conditions:

The Martyr: Is it possible for the player with Tomes to win when the Loyal one kills them though being also still hidden, unrevealed?

The Bad Box: If the Wrathful is also in the game, does the Outcast have any chance of winning? I mean even if the Bad Box and the Host are the only ones left, killing the Host will also win the game for the Neverborn. Or is it the only way, and in this case the Outcast wins and the Neverborn doesn't?

I hope that the community or maybe even the author of this scenario has some answers!

2 answers to this question

For victory conditions I think if you are a martyr and get killed you announced you're a martyr and ask if the hidden killer is guild. They can say yes, and the game ends or no, and people gain a little information.  

I think it's possible for multiple people to win, but I did assume the wrathful needed to be alive when the host died to win. 

For cheating order, you know the order for every turn other than the first.  That doesn't help if your scenario crops up for turn 1. 

I treat the tied results and reflip as only the breaking them, so if you have 7,5,5 (after all cheating) then the 5s would relic and you might have 7, 5-12, 5-2 as your order. 

• Like 1