"Sickmaster Saturday" - Tall Tales and Epic Moments

Kimberly

Heya Breachers!

Unfortunately, I'm sick. No, not *that* sickness, but it has me laid low and feeling down. So this week, I have a humble request. When I'm feeling like this, a common comfort I find is stories. Let me tell you about my favorite experience from a TTB game I ran.

During a session of A Stitch In Time run by @Strype McClaine, we gained an unexpected addition- an 18 year old fella that we'll call JT. JT had never played any RPG before, but given one of the pre-gens and dived right in! Once the campaign was over, JT excitedly asked when the next game would be. I told him that I was starting another campaign, much to his youthful delight. 

The amount of work and enthusiasm from JT was amazing. I was given a fully fleshed out character sheet for a Fated named Blank Page. The Station Card JT pulled was for a Bookbinder background. This resulted in a great backstory of a young woman resentful of her boring life, burned down her parent's shop after their death, and started a new life in Malifaux as a mercenary wanna be. She took the name Blank Page, and JT had written a quick background on the back of his sheet. Y'all, that two paragraph background fit in at least 4 book puns.

There's always some growing pains with brand new players, but JT learned eagerly and Blank Page was a wonderful complement to our strange group of Fated. 

So, humor this sick gal and tell me about about your games! Tell me the great moments, fantastic Fated, and thrilling story twists! As soon as I'm over this natiness, I'll be making a post regarding my favorite One Shots and how to integrate One Shots into existing campaigns!

• Like 3

I was running A Night in Rottenburg and the Fated had made it to the end. They beat Barone,  rescued Lily Yi, whom Barone had possessed, and was wrapping up inside the dynamo.  Our group doctor/Resurrectionist decided to check out the vat of roiling flesh, so on a whim, I had her make a Centering Duel. She flipped the Black joker.  The good doctor began walking toward the edge of the vat as if in a trance, oblivious to the confused calls of her teammates. The party finally reacted when she pitched over the side and frantically formed a four person-long human (and one gamin) chain to prevent her from becoming one with the flesh. It was a great end to a great Penny Dreadful.

• Like 1

Our group still likes to remember the time they had to deliver a carriage loaded with unknown products to the Quarantine Zone.  Knowing how illegal it was to go there, they prepared elaborate aliases and backstories for each member of the party.  They even wore masks and made up a gang name, The Masked Malifaux Marauders, so as not to have the job be traced back to their more legitimate business they collectively owned.  They eventually delivered the load and discovered that they were actually delivering cadavers to a group of Ressurectionists.  Upon finding this out, the face of the group(who hated necromancy) immediately pulled his revolver and shot one in the head point-blank.  A fight broke out, nearby Death Marshalls that were on a covert mission got involved, and I learned a hard lesson about balancing encounters as a Fatemaster because my group barely survived by the skin of their teeth.  They ultimately got arrested anyway, putting those aliases as the Masked Malifaux Marauders to good use.  The next session naturally featured a jailbreak.

• Like 3