When is Trample applicable?

Mycellanious

Question

Cojo has the Trample ability: this model can move through other models.

Is this ability always functional, functional at my discression, or functional at my discession when I control the action. To clarify, consider the following scenarios:

1. Cojo takes the Walk/Charge action. Clearly, he can move through models.

2. Marcus commands Cojo to charge. Since Cojo is taking the Charge action, he can move through models.

3. Marcus uses bonus action, allowing Cojo to "move" 3". I also think Cojo can move through other models because I (a friendly Marcus) am controlling the action, even if Cojo isnt.

4. An enemy model pushes Cojo 4" away. His path intercepts a model 1" away. What happens? Can Cojo get pushed through the other model? Can Cojo choose to NOT be pushed through the other model? 

5 answers to this question

Interesting question!

If it was meant to be optional, wouldn't it say 'may'?

If it was meant to be mandatory, wouldn't it say 'unaffected by other models when moving'?

Although perhaps not, as some models with trample get bonuses for moving through other models.

I would lean towards 'can move' through other models as applying to any Cojo movement. However, it is voluntary. Thus if an enemy pushes you, you may choose to either pass through the other model or not.

Essentially I'd see it as an always on ability (passive effect), but with a choice (made by the controlling model: Cojo, Zoraida, or Marcus).

Not ironclad though. Don't have the rulebook on me.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

Interesting question!

If it was meant to be optional, wouldn't it say 'may'?

If it was meant to be mandatory, wouldn't it say 'unaffected by other models when moving'?

Although perhaps not, as some models with trample get bonuses for moving through other models.

I would lean towards 'can move' through other models as applying to any Cojo movement. However, it is voluntary. Thus if an enemy pushes you, you may choose to either pass through the other model or not.

Essentially I'd see it as an always on ability (passive effect), but with a choice (made by the controlling model: Cojo, Zoraida, or Marcus).

Not ironclad though. Don't have the rulebook on me.

This is what my gut says, although its important to note that the "unaffected by models" wording would also get around engagements, so it could be an attempt at wording an always on ability that doesnt allow Cojo to Charge while engaged or Walk out of engagement

• Like 1

I just noticed the most annoying typo, because I was checking to see if any cards had "may move through" language.

Primoridal Magic's Form Given to Winter action grants models Incorporeal.  The version of Incorporeal isn't the same as the version of Incorporeal on the front side of the card.

• Action version:  This model may move through other models and vice versa.
  • Standard version:  This model can move through mother models and vice versa.

Trying to find movement related abilities:

• Trample:  This model can move through other models.
  • Blade Rush:  ... it can move through other models. ...
  • Incorporeal:  This model can move through other models and vice versa.
  • Diving Charge:  ... When this model takes the Charge Action, it ... can move through other models.
  • Hoist the Hog:  Other friendly models can move through this model.
  • Diving Charge:  .. When this model take she Charge Action, it ignores terrain while moving and can move through other models.

(There are probably more, but I think that's enough...)

Obviously, if you declare a charge and have a "can move through" effect in play (either on you or on the model you're moving through), the push is capable of continuing.  I don't think there's any reason to presume that there's a choice in the matter, because there's already the element of choice in "How far did you want to push yourself?" in the Charge action.

After all, none of these abilities give the model the option to not ignore terrain, why would they treat terrain one way and models the other?

1 hour ago, solkan said:

Obviously, if you declare a charge and have a "can move through" effect in play (either on you or on the model you're moving through), the push is capable of continuing.  I don't think there's any reason to presume that there's a choice in the matter, because there's already the element of choice in "How far did you want to push yourself?" in the Charge action.

After all, none of these abilities give the model the option to not ignore terrain, why would they treat terrain one way and models the other?

Unlike many of the listed examples, Trample is not a Charge-specific ability. If it were there wouldnt be any confusion