What does "unaffected by" really mean?

Mortarion

Question

I am a bit confused by the Mysterious Emissary's "The Land's Hunger" ability. It says the following:

"When this model Drops a :blastMarker, it may instead Drop a 50mm Severe, Hazardous, Hungry Land Marker (it is still treated as a :blastMarker for the effect). This model is unaffected by Hungry Land Markers."

What does that last sentence really mean? Let me go through some different scenarios.

1. The Emissary moves onto a Hungry Land Marker. This one is obvious. He ignores both the Severe (which he does anyway) and the Hazardous effects. No problem.

2. The Emissary starts his activation on a Hungry Land Marker. Acording to his "Planted Roots" ability, he Heals 1 if he starts in Severe terrain. But since he is "unaffected by" Hungry Land Markers, does this not work? It could be argued that he is not affected by the marker, but rather his ability, but if the reason for him healing is that he stands on a Hungry Land Marker, then the marker does affect him. On the other hand, his whole deal seems to be creating terrain and then gaining benefits from it, so it would seem odd if he could not use that terrain.

3. The Emissary drops a Hungry Land Marker instead of a :blastMarker in such a way that it touches himself. Does he suffer damage from the :blasteffect? I guess not? Or is the :blasteffect considered to not be from the Hungry Land Marker?

4. The Emissary and an enemy model stands on the same Hungry Land Marker, more than 1" apart. The Emissary's Tangled Roots attack has a RG of 1" but can target any other model in the same piece of Severe Terrain, ignoring range and LoS. Can he target the enemy? Again, this seems to be the intent, but then he would be affected by the Hungry Land Marker.

3 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, Mortarion said:

I am a bit confused by the Mysterious Emissary's "The Land's Hunger" ability. It says the following:

"When this model Drops a :blastMarker, it may instead Drop a 50mm Severe, Hazardous, Hungry Land Marker (it is still treated as a :blastMarker for the effect). This model is unaffected by Hungry Land Markers."

That's what the callout box on page 37 of the PDF is for.

UNAFFECTED BY TERRAIN

Some models are unaffected by certain types of terrain or terrain Markers. If a model is unaffected by a terrain trait, it ignores that trait for game purposes:

Severe: The model does not suffer the movement penalty of Severe Terrain.

Hazardous: The model does not suffer the effects of the Hazardous Terrain.

Concealment: This model ignores the Concealing Trait when drawing LoS.

Note that that first sentence is explicitly calling out both terrain and terrain Markers.  It's unaffected by the terrain traits of the marker, as specified in "Unaffected by Terrain".

What does that last sentence really mean? Let me go through some different scenarios.

1. The Emissary moves onto a Hungry Land Marker. This one is obvious. He ignores both the Severe (which he does anyway) and the Hazardous effects. No problem.

2. The Emissary starts his activation on a Hungry Land Marker. Acording to his "Planted Roots" ability, he Heals 1 if he starts in Severe terrain. But since he is "unaffected by" Hungry Land Markers, does this not work? It could be argued that he is not affected by the marker, but rather his ability, but if the reason for him healing is that he stands on a Hungry Land Marker, then the marker does affect him. On the other hand, his whole deal seems to be creating terrain and then gaining benefits from it, so it would seem odd if he could not use that terrain.

See the callout box.  It doesn't stop being in the terrain, or the terrain marker.  

3. The Emissary drops a Hungry Land Marker instead of a :blastMarker in such a way that it touches himself. Does he suffer damage from the :blasteffect? I guess not? Or is the :blasteffect considered to not be from the Hungry Land Marker?

See the callout box.  It doesn't suffer the effects of the hazardous terrain.

4. The Emissary and an enemy model stands on the same Hungry Land Marker, more than 1" apart. The Emissary's Tangled Roots attack has a RG of 1" but can target any other model in the same piece of Severe Terrain, ignoring range and LoS. Can he target the enemy? Again, this seems to be the intent, but then he would be affected by the Hungry Land Marker.

See the callout box.  It doesn't stop being in the terrain, or the terrain marker.  

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I agree with @solkan in all but this:

25 minutes ago, Mortarion said:

9 minutes ago, solkan said:

See the callout box.  It doesn't suffer the effects of the hazardous terrain.

At that point that marker is treated both as a hungry land marker and as a :blast. Emissary doesn't ignore :blast, so I'd say he takes the damage.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, solkan said:

That's what the callout box on page 37 of the PDF is for.

Note that that first sentence is explicitly calling out both terrain and terrain Markers.  It's unaffected by the terrain traits of the marker, as specified in "Unaffected by Terrain".

Thanks. I missed the part about Terrain Markers. Then everything makes sense.