Hazardous marker behaviour

Vatic

Question

I just wanted to clarify my thoughts on dropping hazardous markers. I am trying to answer the question:

- Where can the maker appear, in relation to other/this model (I think I’ve got this bit right).

- Which models does the marker have an effect on when it appears and does the effect happen more than once?

In particular, I am looking at this from the point of view of a Kaeris wildfire crew. I have broken this down into the various ways the a marker can appear/be moved.

Drop – e.g. Fire golem’s demise ability which drops a pyre in B2B

– Can be put in base contact/overlapping with any models and other markers.

-NOT treated as moving, so no one gets the condition when the marker is dropped (online pdf pg. 28)

Create –e.g. Kaeris’ bonus action which creates a pyre in 12”

- Cannot be put into base contact with models other than creator. Treated as dropped for other purpose.

-Kaeris can drop the marker on herself, but cannot and gain burning as the marker is not treated as moving/being moved through (online pdf pg. 28).

Place – e.g. Fire golem’s “dancing in flames” which allows him to place a pyre in BTB after walking through it

-Can be in base contact/overlap other models.

-Treated as the marker moving (and therefore any models it touches are treated as moving) (pg. 15 and pg. 37). Anyone touching marker after it is placed gets burning.

-Would the fire golem get the effect twice? Once for moving through the marker and once for the marker being placed? I would say not as the marker is treated (and is) the same piece of terrain and both interactions with it are treated as the model moving through the marker. However, since the place effect happens “after this model resolves the walk action” I wasn’t 100% sure if it is a separate action.

Push – e.g. Kaeris “fan the flames” which pushes a marker within 8” up to 4”

-Can pass through/finish in B2B or overlapping any models

-Treated as moving, any models touched during the push gain burning

-If Kaeris was standing on the marker, would she get the effect twice? Once for taking an action on hazardous terrain and once for the marker moving through her?

Thanks for the help.

3 answers to this question

29 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

You're correct for how drop, create and move all work. Dancing In The Flames would give give the fire golem burning since the wall action has resolved. Fan The Flames would not give Kaeris a second point of burning as you can only be effected by a piece of hazardous terrain once in an action.

... and, more importantly, if you move through more than one hazardous terrain marker of the same name, you only get the effects once.

For the benefit of the original poster:

Hazardous Markers (page 36 of the PDF)

All Markers with the same name (i.e., Pyre Markers, Pit Trap Markers, etc.) count as the same piece of terrain for the purposes of the Hazardous Terrain Trait.

Thus, if a model was Pushed through three Pyre Markers and a single Pit Trap Marker, it would suffer the effects of moving through a single Pyre Marker and a single Pit Trap Marker.

And the limitation on Hazardous Terrain only affecting a model once is in the Hazardous Terrain rules (page 37 pdf):

After a model moves through or resolves one of its Actions while in Hazardous Terrain, it suffers the effects of the Hazardous Terrain after the current Action or Ability is resolved (to a maximum of once per Action or Ability).

Note that that's not "once per effect", but "once per Action or Ability".  That's why Kaeris taking the action can't add up to twice.

In order to get affected by Hazardous Terrain twice in the same action, you'd have to use two distinct terrain pieces (remembering that all of the Pyre Markers on the board are the same as far as the hazardous terrain trait is concerned).

Edit:  I think the only reason Walk followed by Dancing in the Flames works to cause the hazardous terrain effect to go off twice is because of the sequencing:

1. Walk Action
    1. "After resolving" step, Dancing in the Flames
      1. "after resolving the current ability", hazardous terrain effect.  This is "to a maximum of once per Ability".
    2. "After resolving" step, "after resolving the current action" hazardous terrain effect.  This is "to a maximum of once per Action".

but I wouldn't want to present the case before a jury concerning how many steps "once per Action" covers (whether it covers all six steps of action resolution or just the first five).  Because you get something like McCabe's Bull Whip attack where it's

• Main action effect generates a 2" push in Step 5.
  • Like the Wind trigger generates  5" push in Step 6.

and both effects are part of the same action.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, solkan said:

And the limitation on Hazardous Terrain only affecting a model once is in the Hazardous Terrain rules (page 37 pdf):

Note that that's not "once per effect", but "once per Action or Ability".  That's why Kaeris taking the action can't add up to twice.

Thanks, I had missed that bit in the end of the hazardous terrain section.