Who is good at corrupted idols (other than Zoraida).

Maniacal_cackle

Got a casual tournament coming up, and considering take the Dreamer. He is good at 4/5 of the scenarios, but I have my doubts about him doing one of them:

Corrupted idols - standard deployment

Breakthrough

Dig their graves

Take prisoner

Assassinate

Vendetta

I've not done that much Dreamer on idols, but feel like it is an overall weakness for him. Any suggestions on other crews to consider? I know Zoraida is fab, but are there other options?

1 hour ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I've not done that much Dreamer on idols, but feel like it is an overall weakness for him. Any suggestions on other crews to consider? I know Zoraida is fab, but are there other options?

Take my opinion with a Pinch of salt, but I think the dreamer may work well there (he has summons, shield, regen and some models with heals); but it all depends on who is the other master.

• The spiders are good to do breakthrough, and may call for reinforcements if needed.
  • With WW you can kidnap a target, throw it into your crew and control it with slow and distracted (Alph+Insidious) to get Prisioner.
  • Vendetta may be cheesed with a black blood shaman OOK; pick a 7 SS model as the target; grow the shaman into a mature and own it. Serena or LCB are another good picks for it.
  • Assasinate is master dependent and Dig graves isn't a good scheme for him.

@Ogid, all good points! I think Dreamer will be okay at this round, but not fantastic.

The spiders are super good at breakthrough, but I prefer that combo on plant explosives or turf war. Then they are a double threat that can go after two different objectives. They're not good at idols, so are all-in on the schemes (which makes it easier to deny).

Take prisoner is fantastic for this crew, you're right.

I could try a heavy scheme strategy and just try to deny idol movement by standing my beaters on the idols and bogging the game down.

Coppelius of course is great for idols (mobility + regen is like my second favourite thing for idols).

Daydreams with ancient pact are an auto-take I think. Dreamer is already card hungry, and idols makes that worse. Maybe there are other card draw models I can take. Not Zoraida, as it is a single master per round tournament.

Summons I think are not ideal for idol movement (they can't interact the turn they come down), and getting them placed and moved to idols is a slow maneuver. That's fine for turf war, but I find idols is very fast paced with surgical precision to snipe idol movement.

Thanks for the tip about Nekima! Might see if I can borrow/playtest a crew.

Part of the issue is my other option for idols is Molly, and she is ridiculously good at idols. So perhaps I set the bar too high xD

14 hours ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

The spiders are super good at breakthrough, but I prefer that combo on plant explosives or turf war. Then they are a double threat that can go after two different objectives. They're not good at idols, so are all-in on the schemes (which makes it easier to deny).

I agree, they are much better in those 2 strategies (2 birds with 1 stone); but in idols with just 1 of them you could do it (or picking 2 to set up a forward web but sending only 1...) it depends... Denying WW isn't easy because she may disengage with the webs and manifest summons with terrorize to slow the model sent to deal with her... It depends on the other crew (if they have good scheme denial then forget it), but I wouldn't rule it out.

Summons I think are not ideal for idol movement (they can't interact the turn they come down), and getting them placed and moved to idols is a slow maneuver. That's fine for turf war, but I find idols is very fast paced with surgical precision to snipe idol movement.

Also agree here, but they are more an annoyance for the other player than ablative wounds for idols. The other model also cannot interact if it got a summon in b2b that turn (unless don't mind me, agile and that kind of stuff); and with Teddy you can use them as pure heal bars (but for this it is maybe better including Vasi/WW with the dolls than using the Dreamer's summons for that)

Thanks for the tip about Nekima! Might see if I can borrow/playtest a crew.

If it's a small friendly tournament, then go ahead and try something new. But for a bit more serious one I'd recommend you to stick with the crews you know well. Nephillims have almost the opposite playstyle of dreamer (rush and go directly for their neck; which may lead someone not used to that style to overextend hard or to not being agressive enough); and they also have a lot of little tricks in the crew that will take time to master or to know when you should go for those and when not.

Daydreams with ancient pact are an auto-take I think. Dreamer is already card hungry, and idols makes that worse. Maybe there are other card draw models I can take. Not Zoraida, as it is a single master per round tournament.

mmm... there aren't that many options excluding Masters (Zoraida, Lucius and Marcus are the best for this; and Marcus not that much because the best models to pair with him to draw cards are arcanists) and I'm not sure if they would worth it that much OOK but you can try a Lilitu/Lelu pair: These 2 with their sadistic/masochistic game will give you 2 cards per turn (using only their bonus actions); and as healing one of them will also heal the other, they are efficient in this strat if you can keep both alive (you can beat the Lelu, use the Lilitu to move the idols and then heal them both to full with Serena for example)

This one maybe too convoluted, but if you go for Dreamer/Constructs and include Vasilisa (which wouldn't be a bad strategy here btw), then you can include 1 changeling. Leave said changeling near of a Daydream or a Insidious and drop an scheme each turn with him, then use pulling the string with Vasilisa to perform lead nightmare/Disemboided voices and draw 1 card

It's not Zoraida, but at least you are not giving them cards...

• Like 1