Multiple use of focus

Tors

Question

Focused +X:  Before performing an opposed duel, this model may lower the value of this Condition by one to receive a  +  to the duel (and any resulting damage flip this model makes).

At first i thought you can only use focused once per opposed duel, as it's clearly "reduce by one, gain +" and maybe i am thinking/interpreting to much, but:

During modify duel step (detailed timing chart C.2.d.i.) i can decide to use one instance of focused to gain one :+flip(as discribed)

As the timing hasn't changed is there anything that prevents me from taking advantage of focused again? There isn't a rule prohibiting this as far as i can see; Focused is the only condition with a "may" clause involved, so no similiar conditions are effeced; And it's possible to use multiple instances of :+flip

• Respectfully Disagree 1

10 answers to this question

I don't think you can use it multiple times. It specifically says by one, not "by any number".

Additionally, there are a number things in the rules that you if you applied the logic that you could apply something multiple times at a given step, it'd break the game (such as start of activation, a fire golem spamming +2 burning around itself to give everything a million burning).

Any given effect is likely intended to only be applied once at a given time, barring something that says otherwise.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Maniacal_cackle said:

I don't think you can use it multiple times. It specifically says by one, not "by any number".

Additionally, there are a number things in the rules that you if you applied the logic that you could apply something multiple times at a given step, it'd break the game (such as start of activation, a fire golem spamming +2 burning around itself to give everything a million burning).

Any given effect is likely intended to only be applied once at a given time, barring something that says otherwise.

Ahh, thank you! I was looking for such breaking interactions to prevent this line of though. For some reasons i havn't thought outside of conditions.

@Ogid i was aware of the one-at-a-time limit of a single use of the focused condition. My line of thought was of repeated uses of the whole rule. "Could have been worded simpler" isn't a strong argument against a rule without prevalence.

• Like 1

And next, similiar hole:

Sniper: When this model takes a  projectile Action it may lower  the  value  of its  Focused Condition by 1 to treat the Action as having +10" range.

I couldn't find an exact when-taking-an action-happens-here moment. But as it has to be before targeting i can assume timing is different from focused and use both, extended range AND regular focus afterwards in the same action (given at least focused+2 beforehand)? (multiple uses of range extention don't work for the same reason as muliple uses of focused - of course^^) 

31 minutes ago, Tors said:

@Ogid i was aware of the one-at-a-time limit of a single use of the focused condition. My line of thought was of repeated uses of the whole rule. "Could have been worded simpler" isn't a strong argument against a rule without prevalence.

You missed my point. I was trying to explain that there is no rule that allow you to do that... Focus clearly say you can only lower de value by 1 to gain one +; doing anything different than that isn't allowed (and if being able to lower the value by more than 1 were the intended functionality, then the wording of focus would be different).

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Tors said:

And next, similiar hole:

I couldn't find an exact when-taking-an action-happens-here moment. But as it has to be before targeting i can assume timing is different from focused and use both, extended range AND regular focus afterwards in the same action (given at least focused+2 beforehand)? (multiple uses of range extention don't work for the same reason as muliple uses of focused - of course^^) 

I would interpret this as being able to do both.

Haven't got the rulebook handy, but you'd have to lose a focus before declaring the target, which indicates a separate timing.

Additionally it is two discrete abilities (losing one focus from sniper, and one focus from the condition itself).

I may have missed a ruling, but that is my first draft interpretation.

• Thanks 1

@Ogid as my initial question has been sufficiently answered i see no point in further discussing this with you, as we don't seem to understand or agree with each others points. I have no interest to put effort in defending a line of reasoning i belive to be proven false, through i continue to disagree with your reasoning of said falsehood.

13 minutes ago, Tors said:

@Ogid as my initial question has been sufficiently answered i see no point in further discussing this with you, as we don't seem to understand or agree with each others points. I have no interest to put effort in defending a line of reasoning i belive to be proven false, through i continue to disagree with your reasoning of said falsehood.

Read again my posts. You still don't get it.

The main problem is this one: 

1 hour ago, Tors said:

There isn't a rule prohibiting this as far as i can see

Rules in games instruct players about what they can or can't do. If there isn't a rule saying you can use the focus state rules more than once per action, then you can't. You need a rule allowing you to do it, not one stopping you from doing it.