Spark's Scrapyard Mines - Terrain?

mrknabber

Question

Hey,

Spark's Scrapyard Mines reads: "Enemy models treat the area within (aura) 1'' of Scrap Markers within 6'' as Severe and hazardous [...]"

Does this count as Hardous Terrain? It doesnt say terrain but hazardous is only mentioned in the terrain section of the rulebook.

Basically the question is if incorporeal modells would be affected by this since they ignore Hazardous Terrain.

5 answers to this question

4 hours ago, mrknabber said:

Hey, thanks for your answer. It's still not 100% clear to me though.

The rules you quoted mention Hazardous Terrain. Spark's ability mentions Hazardous, but it does not mention Terrain.

So I guess my real question is this: Does Hazardous always counts as Hazardous Terrain? Or, can an area be Hazardous without counting as Terrain?

If you're asking what I think you're trying to ask. the answer is that the first sentence of Sparks Le Blanc's ability Scrapyard Mines ability should probably say ... as Severe and Hazardous (Damage 1 and Injured +1) terrain." for maximum consistency and to minimize confusion.  If this were still the beta, I would direct you to the feedback form to file a defect report.

It's two references to terrain traits, it can't mean anything else when referencing an area of the table.

• Thanks 1

Incorporeal says "ignores terrain while moving and is unaffected by Hazardous Terrain."

In the Terrain rules, there's a callout box Unaffected By Terrain which explains what "unaffected by Hazardous Terrain" means:

Some models are unaffected by certain types
of terrain or terrain Markers. If a model is unaffected by a terrain trait, it ignores that trait for game purposes:

Hazardous: The model does not suffer the effects of the Hazardous Terrain.

While the Incorporeal model is moving, it ignores all terrain, so it won't care about the Severe terrain trait (the effect Severe has is during movement).  And whether the Incorporeal model is moving or not, "is unaffected by Hazardous Terrain" means that it does not suffer any effect of Hazardous Terrain.

So, an Incorporeal Model will suffer no effect of the Scrapyard Mine aura.  The Incorporeal model dutifully treats the area as something that it dutifully ignores.

• Thanks 1

Hey, thanks for your answer. It's still not 100% clear to me though.

The rules you quoted mention Hazardous Terrain. Spark's ability mentions Hazardous, but it does not mention Terrain.

So I guess my real question is this: Does Hazardous always counts as Hazardous Terrain? Or, can an area be Hazardous without counting as Terrain?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, looka said:

that is, vent steam aura is also terrane? and if a pig with an active aura moves then does the enemy take damage?

No, for two reasons. Also Vent Steam is different from Scrap Yard Mined because it specifically states that enemy non-constructs treat the area as Hazardous TERRAIN.

In addition, the rules for Hazardous Terrain were changed specifically because Vent Steam was too strong. The rules say that models suffer the effects of Hazardous Terrain MARKERS when the MARKER is moved. Because Vent Steam has no marker (its an aura centered on a model) nothing happens when the porkchop moves.

The rule to follow for Vent Steam is that you take the damage when YOU move or are moved. So if the Porkchop gets his trigger and Bowls Over an enemy, or Mei pushes them with Jackhammer Kick, or a Railworker tosses them into or out of the aura, etc. then they take the dmg