Scenario that seems to break Line of Sight

DeleteAccount

Question

OK, so from what I understand, infantry sized fireteams can cover a titan from Line of Sight. 

Blocking terrain that is defined as Low blocks Line of Sight only to infantry sized fireteams and offers no protection to Titan sized models.

So what happens when an infantry sized Fireteam is hiding behind Low Blocking terrain and a Titan is behind the infantry sized fireteams? Do you have Line of Sight to nothing? Since the Infantry sized unit is not visible, is the Line of Sight blocking it provides to the Titan ignored?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Razhem said:

OK, so from what I understand, infantry sized fireteams can cover a titan from Line of Sight. 

Blocking terrain that is defined as Low blocks Line of Sight only to infantry sized fireteams and offers no protection to Titan sized models.

That's not what Low does.

A Trait that is Low only affects non-Titan Fireteams.

Edit:  And there's the cross reference in Blocked:

• Titans can draw sight lines through non-Titan Fireteams, and Titan Fireteams ignore non-Titan Fireteams and Low terrain when drawing sight lines to a Titan.

If you apply that to Blocking, you have a piece of Blocking Terrain that only blocks line of sight being drawn by no-Titan Fireteams.

• Two Titans can draw line of sight to each other across Blocking[Low] terrain because they ignore it.
  • A Titan can draw line of sight to a non-titan across Blocking[Low] terrain because the titan ignores it.
  • A non-Titan can not draw line of sight to a Titan across Blocking[Low] terrain because it is affected by [Low] terrain.

Presumably all of this is explained by the fact that Titans aren't constantly towering above things, and only stand up straight when it's to their advantage to do so.

Disclaimer:  By memory, this is thread #4 that I can recall complaining about line of sight to titans feeling backwards.  You don't get to look up to see the Titan standing above the shrubbery.  Instead, everyone looks down.

Edit #2:  And remember the callout box:

A non-Titan unit behind a Blocking [Low] terrain piece would not gain Cover from a Titan's attack, as the Titan ignores Low Terrain!

• Thanks 1

I don't dispute that it feels weird.  😐  It's exactly backwards from how I expect it work after playing Warmachine/Hordes with their huge models, if I try to think of it as elevations.

I think it really depends on how much meta-game there's going to be surrounding creating [High] terrain.  Impassible[High] terrain seems to be more sensible as "constricted" where titans are simply too big to pass through, given the existence of Abyssinia's Combined Arms Titans.  

Probably likewise for Hazardous[High]--overhanging power cables or hazards that you can get through safely if you're not huge.

I'm not sure what would make sense for Blocking[High].  What would block your line of sight only if you were big?  it'd have to be a really abstract sort of overhanging terrain.

25 minutes ago, solkan said:

I'm not sure what would make sense for Blocking[High].  What would block your line of sight only if you were big?  it'd have to be a really abstract sort of overhanging terrain.

Big billboards.  Totally get in the way but only of tall things :)  I could also see things like "blocking[high] Concealing [low]"