Just Starting - here is what I am getting

acseric

Hi All,

I am a new member.  I bought the Core Rulebook, and I have ordered Into the Steam and Above the Law.  I may eventually order additional supplements but I think that I am good for a while. I have also ordered a tarot deck and spell deck.

What should I get next?  I am looking for some penny dreadfuls (one shot and multi adventures)  Which ones are best?  My plan is to run a few one shots, then start a campaign.

Thanks in advance, 

Eric

I started by running a few free one-shots in the monthly Wyrd Chronicles, which the players enjoyed, and started to plan running one of the $5 PDFs one-shots before our group switched games (we rotate what we play frequently). I found them to be helpful in our group since we have trouble with some folks showing up consistently and allowed me to run them as almost monster-of-the-week episodes (and for a good price of $0).

I have A Night in Rottenburg and Northern Aggression Penny Dreadfuls and I will say that they do provide a lot more detail that could help you Fatemaster than the free ones, so you do get what you pay for. Northern Aggression has information for the major NPC's personalities, such as attitude and mannerisms, which I can see it helping the FM roleplay and improvise interactions the Fated have with them (no campaign survives contact with the players!). 

The Northern [x] books tie together, so you could go that route and get the three of them to provide a decent length campaign/part of one.

Thank you.  That was very helpful.

I plan on getting a few of the $5 one shots - mostly to introduce the game to my players.  I hope to get ones that focus on different things and play styles (investigation, combat, exploration, etc)  

Here is what I am thinking so far ($5 one shots)
Heart of Darkness
Jurassic Faux
Night of the Carver

This seems like a good mix based on the descriptions.  

The Northern [x] books seem like a good campaign (or starter)  However, it doesn't appear that the third book has been released yet.

Let me know what you think.  Also, anyone else feel free to weigh in.

Eric

23 hours ago, acseric said:

The Northern [x] books seem like a good campaign (or starter)  However, it doesn't appear that the third book has been released yet.

I thought that might be the case, but I hadn't kept up with them. Looks like it was only the second one that just released.

Not being super familiar with the penny dreadfuls, I would just say go with ones that have either a story you like or maybe interesting challenges/opponents you want to throw at your fated. It may also depend on your Fated and what they are effective at, as you could find scenarios that might be more of a challenge for their particular skillsets. 

I looked at Madman Interrupted at one point since it was the complete opposite of the kinds of adventures my group tends to see (swords and sorcery). I tried to find one-shots and penny dreadfuls that provided an experience unique to the TtB/Malifaux setting: horror, close calls, hard choices, unique monsters/characters (I would include undead, even though they are not unique, they are definitely important) to really get them engaged. Unfortunately, I was only able to run Recruitment Drive and 2 one-shots from Chronicles thus far, but I did look through a number of the available adventures. 

Legacy of Darkness looks to be pretty good, I don't have Jurrasic Faux or Night of the Carver. If I recall, Carver can be pretty challenging but definitely fits the Halloween theme! 

Denial of Sanzu in Chronicles 28 seemed fairly unique compared to what my crew is used to and could maybe be a hook into a large campaign? I wanted to run this, but recall thinking it was too difficult for my Fated (just started the game, only 3 players).

Last Remains has a mix of Nephilim and undead which is nice, but I haven't read much into the story.

I came across a post on this forum discussing the relative difficulty of the Penny Dreadfuls, but I can't find it right now. It may help you decided based on your Fated's current progress (or lack thereof) and group size. 

• Like 1

Personally, my favorite Penny Dreadful is free! It's a very short no combat adventure that should only last a session from Wyrd Chronicles #18! It's one of the first adventures my players will be playing. Night of the Carver plays a lot difference imo later in the campaign because there's a greater impact. (Trying not to be super spoilery lol!) Heart of Darkness is solidly okay, and I haven't played Jurassic Faux yet, but I highly recommend Bad Blood, Child of Flame and Madman Interrupted. It's not available online yet, but the story encounter booklet for Amphibious Assault has a great module for springtime too.

• Like 1