At what point do you fall off terrain?

jerhien

Question

Alright, so here's the question (and I'm sorry if it's been answered already) ;

We're having a hard time understanding the falling rules, when you can use them, and how movement paths are figured out when falling.

If my model is on a Height 3 piece of terrain, when can I choose to fall off of it? Is it when my base touches the edge that I place in base to base contact, does my base have to clear the terrain completely in order to place in base to base with the terrain? Can a base exist partially on terrain and partially suspended over the edge of it?

I know, for instance, that bases can exist partially up or down climable terrain, but that doesn't seem to help any with this.

Just now, Clement said:

You get something to prop it up or grab a proxy base if it comes to it.  This isn't hard.

If how much I can overhang an edge is based off the point the model actually falls down, you're opening the door to an exciting new world of abuse based on pose/conversion/base weighting.  I could absolutely see someone putting "scenic base elements" made of lead on the edge of all their models so they can overhang further then other models.

Good points. I'm a bigger fan of bases needing to be onto the terrain completely since it falls on line with how I see the edge. If I block a ledge except 1mm to one side it seems weird to have some 50mm base with 1mm on the ledge and 49mm outside it walk past the blockade. I tink the fully supported way leads to less strangeness and less risk of models physically falling off and hieing each other.

• Like 1

I agree with that too, but I'm much more interested in how it's actually supposed to be played - how they play it in house when they test stuff for the game. That's the environment in which models are tested and found balanced or not,  and it's the one that I want to be playing in I suppose.

4 hours ago, jerhien said:

I agree with that too, but I'm much more interested in how it's actually supposed to be played - how they play it in house when they test stuff for the game. That's the environment in which models are tested and found balanced or not,  and it's the one that I want to be playing in I suppose.

Most testing is done by regular players without any extra guidance than the rules so it has likely been played in several different ways during testing of models. Even the base rules were worked out through open beta with hundreds of different play groups contributing.

4 hours ago, Ludvig said:

Most testing is done by regular players without any extra guidance than the rules so it has likely been played in several different ways during testing of models. Even the base rules were worked out through open beta with hundreds of different play groups contributing.

A lot of the play testers for M2E probably brought in rules baggage from 1.5 so make different assumptions than a player that came from a different game (or for which M2E is their first miniatures game).  

• Like 1