Folding table hinges

prof_bycid

I am ready to jump into some terrain building in a more serious way.  I want to make a portable playing surface that folds in half at the middle.  The outer rim will likely be a light hardwood 3/4" thick and be 3" deep.  I will have a layer of hardboard on the bottom, mortised into the side boards, and then have 2" of depth to use rigid foam insulation for different levels.  

Has anyone had a good experience with hinges for such a board?  I don't want something that sits on top and thus screws into the upper surface.  I am looking for a hinge that I can lay along the outer sides adjacent to the middle join for a good length to give it some strength.  I've looked around on specialty hardware websites, but don't know what to even call such a hinge.  

Any advice welcome.  If my description is lacking, I could sketch up a diagram.  Cheers. 

Or just let your hinges sink into the wood so they are flush with the top level of the wood. That's how they are worked in into my board and works fine.

One remark: I've used he same thickness of wood for the base board and it makes it a fairly heavy table, certainly after basing and flocking the complete  board.  Making the base board only a half inch tick makes the board less rigid but sure makes it easier to transport.

I do not have a solution for this other then using the lightest kind of wood that has the least chance on warping.

Just my two cents.

On 11/13/2017 at 8:46 PM, Dhampir said:

I'm assuming you want something like this - a Card table side hinge:

That is exactly what I needed Dhampir!  And now I see why they work---there is a third piece that links it all together so that the two boards can pivot without hitting corners.  Will get a set ordered and start picking out some nice wood for the outer frame.  I may go fancy and use black walnut, we'll see.