New player advice - building a crew around a single model?

gwain21

Hi! I'm a new player getting into Malifaux and after purchasing the starter set and reading all the old rulebooks for the fluff I'm trying to finally decide on a crew to buy. I recently got a good deal on a nightmare whiskey golem (gremlins) and I really like the model so I'm trying to build a crew around it (is that a strange thing in malifaux?).

I know some masters can hire from outside of their faction and I really like the Outcast models so I was hoping you guys could help me figure out which Outcast master is able to recruit the whiskey golem, if any. Thanks!

It's not strange, but it can be dangerous as no model is truly unkillable in Malifaux. Better not to have irreplaceable models, competitively speaking.

None of the outcast masters can hire it.

Crew can hire a model from its own faction (Whiskey is Gremlins), up to two models with 'mercenary' characteristic (Whiskey isn't) and any models allowed by hiring rules of specific models (Leveticus for instance can hire any non-gremlin constructs with an upgrade, regardless of faction). This is found on page 90 of the free rules in case you want to have a read yourself.

If you want to field the Whiskey Golem your options are either any Gremlin master or in Ten Thunders using The Brewmaster (who is a TT/Gremlin dual master and can hire a specific subset of models in either faction, including Whiskey). Many Outcast models are mercenaries so odds are decent you can find a few cool ones to field alongside your gremlin or TT models.

Or just go nuts and start collecting both gremlins and outcasts :P

• Like 1

Gremlins have two dual faction masters, Zoraida (dual faction Neverborn) and Brewmaster (dual faction Ten Thunders). Unfortunately there's very little crossover between Outcasts and Gremlins, as our dual faction masters are Tara (dual faction Resurrectionists) and Misaki (dual faction Ten Thunders). I suppose there could be minor crossover between Misaki and Brewmaster, but really they do very different things and want very different crews.

If you wanted to make best use of your Whisky Golem I'd suggest focusing on Gremlins with some dabbling in Ten Thunders.