New Actions generated by triggers, Focus, and Randomizing

ZAlpha

Question

Here's a few questions that I want to make sure I get it correctly, as it seems to come up more often lately.

1. If a trigger from attacker's action causes a model to perform another new action against the same target (such as in the case of Trigger Happy), do you need to randomize again if the target is engaged?
For Trigger Happy, the text reads "After damaging, immediately perform a Modified Peacebringer Attack against the same target."

I'm not sure if 'the same target' means you just cannot change the target, or does that also mean you do not have to randomize target once more?

2. If the model is removing the Focused condition before performing Attack and uses the Trigger which generates new Action (again, such as Trigger Happy),
the effect of Focused condition would still apply to the second Action, correct? 

Because Focused says "...gain a number of :+fate to the Action's duel and damage flip equal to the value of the Focused Condition removed".
And "...original Action is not considered resolved until the new Actions are resolved." (as per page 38 - Actions causing Actions)

Thank you.

8 answers to this question

1. You would still need to randomize, your temporary target just has to be the same one that you declared the trigger on.

2. No. First question on the FAQ. 1) If a model has the Focus +1 Condition, can it remove the Condition at the start of a Charge Action in order to gain the bonus to all Attacks generated by the Charge Action? No. It would have to remove the Condition at the start of a single Attack which was generated by Charge and it would only gain the bonus for the duration of that Attack. Other Actions which generate Attack Actions (such as Flurry, Rapid Fire, etc) function in the same way in regards to Focus.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Four_N_Six said:

I'm not convinced about the answer to question 2.  The FAQ refers to Charge, Flurry, and Rapid Shot, which are all tactical actions that cause attacks.  So the separate attacks in the actions are still separate attacks.  An attack caused by a trigger should still be considered the same single action, per the OP's reference to page 38 and actions causing actions.

Actions causing actions just tells you when the first action ends. It doesn't change the fact that any new actions being taken are still different actions from the first one.

20 minutes ago, santaclaws01 said:

2. No. First question on the FAQ. 1) If a model has the Focus +1 Condition, can it remove the Condition at the start of a Charge Action in order to gain the bonus to all Attacks generated by the Charge Action? No. It would have to remove the Condition at the start of a single Attack which was generated by Charge and it would only gain the bonus for the duration of that Attack. Other Actions which generate Attack Actions (such as Flurry, Rapid Fire, etc) function in the same way in regards to Focus.

I never thought that Action(s) generated by ability/triggers would function in the same way as the 1st question on the FAQ. Glad to know.

For #2 ... Allow me to take another example;
Going by the same logic above; If Hannah removes Focused when she uses "Make a New Entry", would the copied Action benefit from Focus?

Thank you.

Just now, ZAlpha said:

I never thought that Action(s) generated by ability/triggers would function in the same way as the 1st question on the FAQ. 

For #2 ... Allow me to take another example;
Going by the same logic above; If Hannah removes Focused when she uses "Make a New Entry", would the copied Action benefit from Focus?

Thank you.

No. It is a different action that is being taken. If there was a buff that applied for the duration of the action then any new actions generated would get that buff, but focus is a buff that applies to that specific action and its flips. Any new actions generated are separate actions from the original one that take place during it.

• Like 1

I'm not convinced about the answer to question 2.  The FAQ refers to Charge, Flurry, and Rapid Shot, which are all tactical actions that cause attacks.  So the separate attacks in the actions are still separate attacks.  An attack caused by a trigger should still be considered the same single action, per the OP's reference to page 38 and actions causing actions.

You want to read question 70 in the FAQ about Focus and triggers.

70) If a Trigger on an Action causes a damage flip, does that count as part of the original Action? Is it modified by things like the Accuracy Modifier and Focus? Yes, Triggers that cause damage flips are a part of the Action which caused them and any damage flip on such a Trigger would retain any modifiers to the original flip including Accuracy, Focus, cover, etc.