Joss versus Sybelle Henchman Hardcore Match

H4ml3t

I started Malifaux at Origins 2016. Since then I've been assembling and painting up a storm and have also introduced the game to another 8 people so far all of whom are buying into the game pretty heavily. (I'll be submitting my Henchman application as soon as I finish paining a few more models) Anyway, the folowling report is my friend Richards first game. I think Henchman Hardcore (without the time limit) makes a great introductory format for Malifaux.

No pics. I'll try to do better next time. The board was full of ruins and rubble with lots of cover, a bit of blocking and lot of severe terrain.

My force:
3ss Cache
Joss w Imbued Energies and Recharge Soulstone: 2ss
December Acolyte:  7ss
December Acolyte:  7ss
Steam Arachnid:  4ss

Richard's Force:
5ss Cache
Madame Sybelle w ?Upgrade:  1ss
Punk Zombie:  7ss
Flesh Construct w Disturbing Presence:  7ss
Rotten Belle:  5ss

Deployment:
I win the flip and make Richard choose side and deploy first. He picks the table side w better approach to the middle and sets us Sybelle in the middle with his Flesh Construct on my right flank. The Punk Zombie and Rotten Belle set up on my left flank.

I set up Joss and the Steam Arachnid in the center to rush the middle. My Acolytes us From the Shadows to Deploy within 6" of the Turf War marker. I set up Acolyte 1 on my left with a clear shot on his Punk Zombie and Acolyte 2 on my right flank out of sight of his Flesh Construct and Sybelle.

Turn1:
I win Initiative.
My December Acolyte on the Left Flank opens by shooting at the Punk Zombie in the open twice. Both shots hit Slowing the Punk Zombie and leaving it with only 1 Wound remaining.

Richard walks his Punk Zombie forward and then uses Companion to activate his Rotten Belle. She walks forward and Lures the December Acolyte  out of cover and out of scoring range for Turf War.

I move my Steam Arachnid up into scoring position and go Defensive.

Richard double walks his Flesh Construct to engage my December Acolyte on the right. This also places both the Steam Arachnid and the December Acolyte in the Aura of Disturbing Presence.

My remaining December Acolyte melees with the Flesh Construct twice giving it Slow but doing only 1 point of damage which it regenerates at the end of the round. Couldn't trigger my Into Shadows to get out of Melee and the Acolyte takes 2 damage at the end of its turn from Disturbing Presence.

Sybelle walks up to the center with the scoring zone and blasts my Steam Arachnid to pieces with Siren Wail.

Joss discards Imbued Energies to gain Fast for the turn. He walks forward then charges Sybelle.  Misses once and hits once. Richard burns a SS for damage prevention so ultimately Sybelle take only 1 Damage.

End of Round 1 I have Joss and an Acolyte in scoring position and Richard has Flesh Construct and Sybelle in scoring position. 1-1

Turn 2:
I win Initiative. Richard burns a SS to reflip and I still win Initiative.

My left flank December Acolyte activates and kills the Punk Zombie then misses a shot at the Rotten Belle.

Richard's Slowed Flesh Construct hits my December Acolyte for light damage and gives it Poison.

Joss spends a Soulstone to add a suit to his attack flip and uses his (2) Pneumatic Fist attack on Sybelle. Richard burns a ss for damage prevention and Sybelle takes 3 damage and gains Paralyzed. Joss takes 1 damage from the Flesh Constructs Disturbing Presense.

Richard's Rotten Belle charges the December Acolyte on my left flank and leaves it with 1 life remaining.

My December Acolyte on the right Melees into the Flesh Construct again Slowing it and doing minimal damage. Takes 2 more damage from Disturbing Presence. Sybelle Un-paralyzes.

End of Round 2 I have Joss and an Acolyte in scoring position and Richard has Flesh Construct and Sybelle in scoring position. 2-2

Turn 3:
I flip the Red Joker to win Initiative and Richard decides not to cheat. ;)

Joss activates and makes two attacks with his Arc Axe on Sybelle. Despite Richard using his last 2 ss for damage prevention Sybelle dies and I score full VP for Assassinate. Joss takes 1 damage from Flesh Construct's Disturbing Presence.

Richards Rotten Bells has to use both AP to deal the last remaining point of Damage to my Acolyte on the left flank.

My right flank December Acolyte attacks the Flesh Construct twice hoping for a Mask on the attack flip to escape Melee but fails to get it. The attacks do a bit of damage to the Flesh Construct and then the Acolyte dies from Disturbing Presence.

The slowed Flesh Construct walks into engagement range with Joss.

End of Round 3 neither of us score Turf War. I take the lead 5-2.

Turn 4:
Richard Wins Initiative. Rotten Belle Undresses to give Joss Slow and walks behind cover.

Joss slowly walks away from the Flesh Construct.

Flesh Construct charges Joss and does significant damage (plus Poison) even after I use 2 as for damage prevention.

Richard scores Turf War bringing it to 5-3.

Turn 5:
Richard wins Initiative.

Flesh Construct pounds on Joss leaving him Poisoned and at 1 Life.

Joss escapes Melee to avoid the damage from Disturbing Presence.

Rotten Belle can't reach Joss.

Richard scores the Strategy bringing our final score to 5-4. I win but the victory is bittersweet as Joss dies from Poison at end of Turn 5.

Good game that came right down to the wire. The major "victory" is that Richard had a great time playing his first game and it being so close has got him chomping at the bit to play a full game this upcoming weekend.

From the FAQ:

2) If a model is killed by a Condition, which Crew counts as having made the kill? No model or Crew counts as having made the kill.

I'm not honestly sure if I like this rule or not but I'm trying to follow it to prepare both myself and the players I'm teaching for playing in tournaments and official events.

18 minutes ago, H4ml3t said:

From the FAQ:

2) If a model is killed by a Condition, which Crew counts as having made the kill? No model or Crew counts as having made the kill.

I'm not honestly sure if I like this rule or not but I'm trying to follow it to prepare both myself and the players I'm teaching for playing in tournaments and official events.

Assassinate only requires the enemy leader to be killed or sacrificed so it doesn't matter if it was you, the opponent, a piece of terrain or a condition that did the killing/sacrificing. Two more points for your opponent.

Wow. You're totally right on both counts! (Not surprising now that I see you're an Avatar)

The mistake with the Disturbing Presence going on a Minion was just us rushing to try and have time to get a game in. I'll stand by that mistake and let it slide.

My mistake with Assassinate just came from my newness to the game and not tying "Killed" back to page 51 of Manual where it says "When a model is reduced to 0 or fewer Wounds it is immediately removed form the game as Killed." I'll inform Richard of his Victory...

I appreciate the clarification/help!

Glad I could help. There's a lot to keep track of so we have all made a bunch of mistakes, I still miss stuff during stressful parts of my games. Posting stuff here will ensure that you get a lot of friendly advice so can be a good way to learn. As long as you had a good game and hadn't put money down on the results I'd say you're fine ;)  

Just keep posting, it' an automatic title that you get after a thousand posts or something like that. I also believe you can change your own status to whatever you want it to be in your account settings. 

• Like 1